Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Is it possible to water new grass seeds (in shade) too much?
Of course the goal is to keep the soil wet for as long after I put down the hose as possible. When the soil is in the sun, the water seeps into the ground, plus evaporates, so its not long before the...
9
9

new mosquito killers any good?
Something caught my eye at Lowes the other day. Seems that there is now a mosquito killer available which looks a lot like the old bug zappers. The bug zappers would bag everything except mosquitoes....

Blade angle
On the net I've seen recommended sharpenning angles from 25-45degrees. What do You Guys recommend for a 30" cut 10hp rider and a 42" 20hp..There are some gravel issues here that will probably never be...
7
7

Chraftsman 18hp. twin fuel problem
We have an 18 hp. twin fuel pump on the side of the carb . It was working fine and then quit . It appeared that it was lack of gas as it would start and run as long as you pored the gas in the carb ....
9
9

how much water is enough for new grass seeds
put some Scotts Kentucky Bluegrass common #1 grass seed down 8-10 days ago. I think the conditions are perfect, according to the bag 15-26Celcius. It was overcast and raining for maybe 4 of those...
4
4

28-8-16 water soluble lawn fertilizer
I have an EZ-FLO fertilizer tank lawn irrigation sprinkler system that can accept any water soluble or liquid fertilizer. I want to buy a 28-8-18 fertilizer for this tank. Can anybody recommend some...
1
1

Fertilizer for crape myrtles?
What should I use?
4
4

Lawn Tractor Electric Clutch
Hi all, I have a 1994 Troy built Lawn tractor with the electric clutch unit. It worked fine since it was new until now. When I first start to mow it works good until I shut it off for a minute or so....
7
7

Buying "dye" for bark mulch
Much as I hate that "red faux cedar" dyed bark mulch, it may come in handy for rejuvenating about 400 sqft of bark mulch I have down. It's cost prohibitive (and stupidly wasteful) to rake up, dispose...
3
3

Sod cutter thoughts
First off, I'm very satisified with the quick and complete email reply from the current factory reps of the company that now owns the Bouwer Mark 2 sod cutter (originally made in Canada, now HQ'ed in...
1
1

Rainbird Sprinklers - On My Never Again List
Sorry for the rant, but I'm PO'd. Just a datapoint for the rest of you... I'll never purchase another rainbird product. Why? The first problem was that the heads I picked up the other day were...
2
2

LawnBelt
I'm thinking about buying the LawnBelt system ( have any experience with this? The one thing I found out that concerns me, is that with the hoses so close to the top, I will no longer be able aerate...
1
1

controlling goosegrass
I'm in MA and have a problem w/goosegrass. What's the best way to control it? I overseed every fall. I have tried corn meal gluten, hand pulling and spot treatments w/Bayer advanced weed killer. I cut...

Drahthaar pup
fling 1st class.
1
1

rhododendrum care
I planted a large rhododendron in my semi shade planter. Heavy humus, a drip system to keep it slightly moist. Added appropriate rhododendron food once a week as per instructions. Most of the gorgeous...
7
7