how much water is enough for new grass seeds

put some Scotts Kentucky Bluegrass common #1 grass seed down 8-10 days ago. I think the conditions are perfect, according to the bag 15-26Celcius. It was overcast and raining for maybe 4 of those days, and the days it wasn't and even those it was, I have watered it several times per day. Is this neccesary, and how long should it take to come up? I have been able to keep it moist (it has not dried out yet), but the bag says only "water daily".

Reply to
bent

"bent" wrote in news:1181234777 snipped-for-privacy@sp6iad.superfeed.net:

Reply to
Steve

You need to water it enough so that it stays constantly damp. That can mean noon and early evening in cool overcast weather, or every few hours during the day if it's hot, windy and full sun. Which is why Fall is the best time to seed, because the weather is on your side. You can also use hydraulic mulch or a light dressing of peat moss to help retain moisture. Bluegrass takes longer than most grasses to germinate and establish. About 3 weeks to germinate is typical. You don't need to water it deeply, just enough to keep the top of the soil damp. AFter it germinates, slowly back off the frequency of the watering, but increase the time so you water it deeper.

Reply to
trader4

Reply to
dKid