Waterfurnace Problems : Update

Today, I had my installor, State inspector and a Waterfurnace field consultant to our home. It's taken a year of on going repairs, to find the problem. I have a damper in my attic for zone 3. The

14'' round supply runs out of the air handler in my crawl space, to a damper in my attic. They found a major leak between the two. On a short term fix, they will be moving the attic damper to the crawl space. The next step is taking out sheetrock and sealing the leak. I hope this will fix the problem. Thanks to the group for your input. I still think the 14'' round supply is to small for a 6 ton unit but I'm not a HVAC expert. Thank again.
Reply to
rodthacker

Ask the water furnace rep what static pressure range their system is designed for, and then ask the installer to measure TESP and verify the installed system is within the range specified by the rep.

six tons at a nominal 400 cfm per ton yields 2400 cfm. Your system should have a 16" & 14" duct at minimum or one 20" duct for both supply and return.

Before removing any sheetrock request your installer perform a blower door test AND a duct blaster test. If that is over his head or out of his league, find someone locally to perform these tests for you, with any duct leakage repairs back charged to the installer.

Until the airflow is correct your system cannot perform to manufacturers specs.

Reply to
gofish

installer.http://www.southface.org/web/resources&services/publications/factshee...>

do some jobs. The Waterfurance rep. took notes and checked the system. The report will go to Waterfurance and then the installing dealer, I can only get the report from the installing dealer. The control on the waterfurance can be set to do almost anything. I've had blower door test, and duct leakage test performed already. Everyone has a different opinion on the duct size. This problem has been on going for over a year. Thanks, RT

Reply to
rodthacker

installer.http://www.southface.org/web/resources&services/publications/factshee...

area to do some jobs. The Waterfurance rep. took notes and checked the system. The report will go to Waterfurance and then the installing dealer, I can only get the report from the installing dealer. The control on the waterfurance can be set to do almost anything. I've had blower door test, and duct leakage test performed already. Everyone has a different opinion on the duct size. This problem has been on going for over a year.

And will continue, till you find someone that's competent.

Reply to
<kjpro

The following link:

seems to provide a wealth of information. One being that the 6-Ton waterfurnace [NS70] by this Manufacturer requires that no more than .5" w.c. e.s.p. to achieve the 2000 cfm noted on their product sheets. Anything higher reaps something considerably less. You can go as high as 2300 cfm, but all and all, I don&#39;t think you are achieving that [2000 cfm] with a 14" or even a 16" supply / return duct. Particularly if it&#39;s flexible type(s).

What the O.P. might consider is getting someone there with a ALNOR hood and measure the actual air flow.

Reply to
Zephyr