Trends

Page 2 of 2

Guess you never heard of black death.

Sounds like ANY business! I guess plumbing is similar to lawn care, my buddy that has a lawn service often has problems with scheduling, customer service, bookkeeping, deadbeats, etc, etc. Greg

Besides those basic business things you cite the comparision as that you both are installing & servicing mechanical things that are generally part of a building's infrastructure. Plumbing, electric, and HVAC. Although of these three plumbing and HVAC are more closely comparable because they are more apt to need maintenance on an ongoing basis while an electrician's skills are more likely to be invoked for making changes or new construction with repairs to a lesser degree.

Don't forget that all three trades have homoaners who think the work of all three trades is simple and that the homoaner can do the work as good as the tradesman and not get ripped off.
Look at alt.home.repair: Nearly all the questions are from homoaners who are too cheap to get a pro to do the job.
Tell me how EPA recovery/reclaim/tracking has affected your bottom line, and how much you've had to shell out for DOT tanks and disposal. Or how the trade is getting more complicated every day by electronics and changing refrigerants, lubricants, and certifications.
Remember what was said on this group a number of years ago.
How do you tell a plumber from an HVACman? Put both up to their necks in a tankful of shit, then throw a rock at them. The one who ducks is the plumber.
Matt wrote:

Try getting charged for grease/waste recovery and disposal.
I will tell you that although elctronics hasn't hit us too hard yet; I will tell you that the price of a water heater has risen between 30 -60% over the past 5 years based on fuel efficiency requirements; not to mention the constant mods that are mad to preven people from blowing themselves up when they spray paint their camaro next to the water heater.
Copper alone has risen by 25% in the last 6 months.
Look folks, I didn't want to make this a contest as to who has the harder and/or more technical job.
I just wanted to know how your job flow is doing this quarter.

My plan for global domination is right on schedule.

Its busy as its been before. The weathers been odd, so its had slow points..but bottom dollar its up. It was good enough I took Friday-today off...went skeet shooting and fishin on Friday, and headed to the coast friday night...got back today..been great.
Hey Matt: My 5-year old house has a sewerage backflow valve in the basement right where the main sewer goes out the foundation footer. Is there any maintenance that needs to be done to this backflow valve?
(My house is on the highest elevation lot in the city [no shit]. If I get a backflow in my sewer lines, then this world has a whole lot of other problems that are much bigger than my sewer.)

Hmmmmm
No, no maintenance is needed, provided they used quality materials. Also, there are several different types of sewage backflow devices; some with a 'flap', somewith what looks like a ping pong ball.... etc.
I'd bet you have nothing to worry about.
Noon, there is a lot more to plumbing than the three things you mentioned. You'd never make it as a plumber-- you forgot "Hot on the left, Cold on the right" and the most important part of the master test-- getting a dip of snuff without using your fingers.

Don't forget: "If it is brown, it ain't a pickle".

    Sometimes even if it's green .....
    How about 'if it's in a large porcelain container that's too large to fit in the fridge, don't eat it' ?
Paul ( pjm @ pobox . com ) - remove spaces to email me 'Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm / Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm /
But where do you put the beer tap??

Slowly walk backwards toward the tap. Stop when I tell you to, and I'll pull the handle on the tap.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Here's some of Stormy's "christian values". Wishing misery upon people so he can live large.

How many points for buttcrack?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus