I live in the Chicago area and have a Trane XV80 Furnace that was installed
about 3 years ago. This Winter I heard ice chunks clinking down the chimney
and it appears that the ice came all the way down to the furnace where the
chimney pipe connects. I have a metal chimney that has a plentiful amount
of louvres in the cap of the chimney itself. I never had any chimney ice
problems before I had this XV80 installed and I am wondering if this
furnace needs to be vented out the side of the house and not up the
chimney? I am having a roofer come over thru insurance since I also had
some ceiling water mark damage in the area that is right next to the
chimney. Maybe there are too many vent openings in my chimney cap and that
is creating a moisture problem? My insurance said we may also have to
involve the HVAC person that installed the unit depending on whe is found.
The metal chimney is about 6 years old now and my previous furnace was a
Lennox Pulse that was vented out the side of the house and only the water
heater was being vented up the chimney flue. Anyone else have an icing
problem with their Trane XV80 using a metal chimney?
Thanks in advance for any input to this problem.
Thanks for your input ... my Lennox Pulse had 2 vent PVC Pipes going out
the side of the house and not up the chimney. The metal pipe that is on
the XV80 is sized for that opening that is on top of the front of the
furnace so I think I am ok. When the insurance people come out and the
roofer we may even have to call in the HVAC company that did the
installation too. I wonder if perhaps the chimney housing cap on the roof
has too many openings (louvres) and that is causing condensation to build
into ice and it only happens on days with temps from like 0 to 20 degrees
out. Or, there may be a leak in the roof too.
Sounds like you maybe need to not vent that thing out the chimney. Is
there a fireplace on it too? Newer units are more efficient and
that's a problem with older chimney installs. The exhaust gas from
the furnace is not hot enough to keep the water from condensing out
inside the chimney. That would explain your ice problem. And water
condensed from the furnace inside the chimney will damage it.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.