The Good Stuff

I have passed the Universal technician test and finishing up school in December. I would like to know what a HVAC company would be looking for if I went in looking for a job? Do I need to become certified or will they take me as I am?

Thanks Bob

Reply to
Bob

You will need to be able to identify tools, equipment, material on the truck, and be able to carry them; you will expected to be learning your job over the first year, you will be expected to do alot of training, on your own, at schools, and ojt. Good Luck. Do not expect to make alot of money for quite some time.

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

I'm not sure what Universal Technician Test is. But, here is my wisdom and wit:

1) There's more than one kind of HVAC job. Many people hire only installers as entry level. You can be promoted to service guy, later. 2) You should expect to carry a lot of tools up and down stairs, and ladders. The new guy's nick names are "Fetch", "Clean" and "Stairs". 3) Never talk to customers, unless totally necessary. This is for several reasons. First, the boss wants to be the one who has the conversations, tells the jokes, etc. Second, they will repeat anything you say, to the boss and to the neighbors. "He said the system should run more efficiently...." 4) The company has had a lot of guys who didn't work out. Folks hire on and make demands. Bad idea. They also stay only a few months, and go work for the other guys. New guys also steal tools, do side jobs during their off hours, and so on. Expect not to be trusted for at least a year. Never mention side jobs unless it's your own furnace, or your Mom and Dad's house. You're expected to fix your own furnace, and you're expected to keep your parents comfortable. Leave the work tools at work, unless you have a really totally good reason to bring them home. 5) You really need your EPA card to do much good in a HVAC company. Though I've met guys who didn't have the card, and they mostly do sheet metal, stairs, and fetch. 6) never, ever, disagree with the boss when the customer might even have a chance of hearing.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the reply, Universal Technician is EPA certified to work on Type 1 - small appliances Type 2 - High Pressure and Very High Pressure Appliances Type 3 - Low Pressure Appliances

Storm> I'm not sure what Universal Technician Test is. But, here is my wisdom > and wit:

Reply to
Bob

Never heard it called that. But he really should get his EPA card....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's what he's talking about Stormy. Remember the test? Or didn't you take part in it yet?

Part#1. Core. Part#2. small appliances Part#3. High pressure Part#4. Low pressure

All passed = universal refrigerant handling certificate.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

Never heard it called "universal technician test". Sounds like something from Foley Belsaw. Wish he'd said his EPA card, or maybe freon license or something so we'd know what he meant.

Since you ask, I did get my EPA universal in 1994, and my EPA 609 card shortly after that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Four Letter Words

A young couple got married and left on their honeymoon. When they

Got back, the bride immediately called her mother. "Well," said

Her mother, "so how was the honeymoon?"

"Oh, Mama," she replied, "The honeymoon was wonderful!

So romantic..."

Suddenly she burst out crying. "But, Mama, as soon as we returned

Sam started using the most horrible language - things I'd never

Heard before! I mean, all these awful 4-letter words! You've got to

Come get me and take me home. PLEASE MAMA!"

"Sarah, Sarah," her mother said, "calm down! Tell me, what could be

So awful. WHAT 4-letter words?"

"Please don't make me tell you, mama," wept the daughter, "I'm so

Embarrassed they're just too awful! COME GET ME, PLEASE!!!"

"Darling, baby, you must tell me what has you so upset. Tell your Mother these horrible 4-letter words!"

Still sobbing, the bride said, "Oh, Mama...words like: Dust, Wash,

Iron, Cook......."

"I'll pick you up in ten minutes," said the mother

Good Luck from Dido

Reply to
AKS

your kidding, right? and you want to offer free advice with Abby Normal??

Gesh, this ended up as a scary link.....

To the original poster, are you ending up with an Associates? If so, get your but back and school for two more years and make a real living. Everyone on this side of a BA or BS degree wants everything free and demands you the this trade lives in poverty. I'm serious about this, FINISH a REAL degree or change it completely

Don't believe me? Then lets take a poll, how many REAL techs here thinks he should go back to school Say Yes or No....

Rich

Reply to
geoman

I don't know what a real tech is anymore. Once upon a time I thought I did but not any more. I'd go with the stay in school verdict myself. Or if you want to get out there and work become a Union electrician, they make twice as much as I do and don't have to get into complicated scenarios as I do regularly.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to
RSCamaro

Slam dunk, get your BA if you are able. You will not regret it "EVER"!

Joseph

p.s. Stormy should not be giving advice to anyone about anything...

Reply to
Joseph

That's what folks said when I said I'd never buy Microsoft at $2.35 a share. No way anyone would want a computer in his home.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Take some of those earnings and go to school to learn something before you try to give advice. You are the worst troll posting to this group, IMHO... (personally, I think you are to stupid to know you're stupid)

Joseph

Reply to
Joseph