tankless water heater, Hi everybody.

Hi everybody. I need an unbiased professional opinion. I have 23 years old oil fired boiler with tankless water heater. I am planning to have it replaced.

The guy quoting the job recommended to install indirect fired water heater ($1900 extra compared with tankless as part of the boiler ). Does it make sense? Only two people live in the house (no kids), Hot water usage is not high. . I read about pros an cons, It is confusing....

Any comment/advice/suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks!! P.S.: On slightly different topic: how much good does HeatManager

do?

Reply to
mk5778

The indirect will give you unlimited hot water, which is a great selling point. If it is just the two of you that you were worried about, just get a summer/winter (coil in boiler) for your hot water. All of the oil boilers I know of can have it, there are very few options in a gas boiler.

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

Probably because gas domestic water heaters are so (relatively) cheap, it doesn't make as much sense to add DHW capability on to a gas boiler.

Reply to
modervador

Hey, Just saw your post. I had a similar situation (kinda -- plumber wanted to charge me $1500 for tankless water heater, which seemed too much). I found a website called

and not only did they give me a good deal ($855 for the same heater) but good advice, too. Hope that helps.

Reply to
ahtheodor

Hey, Just saw your post. I had a similar situation (kinda -- plumber wanted to charge me $1500 for tankless water heater, which seemed too much). I found a website called

and not only did they give me a good deal ($855 for the same heater) but good advice, too. Hope that helps.

You *STILL* have to have it installed....don't forget to check with city hall to see if a permit is required, also, read *ALL* of the instructions and warranty sheet very carefully......it might not be as good a deal as you think. BTW...$1500 must have been the lowest bidder. Can't do it that cheap here in poor ol' rural south Mississippi.

Reply to
Noon-Air

You may find this helpful, it's a list of the various installation issues I've encountered with thankless water heaters both on my own projects and while doing home inspections here in Chicago:

Michael Thomas, Paragon Proper

wrote in

Hey, Just saw your post. I had a similar situation (kinda -- plumber wanted to charge me $1500 for tankless water heater, which seemed too much). I found a website called

and not only did they give me a good deal ($855 for the same heater) but good advice, too. Hope that helps.

If a guy was going to charge you $1500, why didn't you jump on it??!!! I'm not questioning your ability on installing one yourself, but don't you think it's worth paying someone to do it?

What happens if you have a problem with it (while installing or 6 months down the road)? Are you going to fix it? Can you fix it? Will the manufacturer honor any warranty parts if YOU install it? Will they just send you a new part if YOU say it's bad (as opposed to someone diagnosing that the part is actually bad)?

I just think to pay someone, what, $600.00 (if you do in fact get one for $855 and that includes all of the required accessories and parts needed for installation) and then if you have any problems within the warranty period, you call THEM and have them make it right.

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab