Refrigerator not working again

Or that broken solder joints are quite common failures.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Iggy, if you have ever listened to my advice, take this one:

Toss it and get another, either used or new. You can get a used one for what the compressor will cost, and all the system is as old as the compressor, and next month it will be a coil, or a whizzit that might fry your new compressor. They only have 30-90 day warranties (replace, but you pay labor , translated, HOW MUCH YOU GOT) You'll get a better deal on the new one.

I went through what you went through three times. I would NEVER EVER have a refrigerator rebuilt. Others have had different experiences, I'm just telling you what I would do at MY house in the same circumstances. Once the word "compressor" comes into the conversation, it changes everything, like "pregnant" or "STD". Cut your losses, get another, and use all this time doing you are now wasting doing something constructive. If you had done this three days ago, this would almost be a memory right now.

Guys who do appliance repair are either talented individuals who understand complex systems with lots of controls, or are the ones who couldn't make it in HVAC school. And to fail HVAC school is comparable to failing a urinalysis. They're both that easy.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

I like your examples of "changes everything" words.

I think that I will do what you say, I will get a new fridge.

both may have the same udnerlying reason too.

Ignoramus30441

I would probably charge you $1000. no tax.

Reply to
A. Baum

Yes, cold solder joints are a common problem. GE refrigerators are another example of this. A friend of mine is a computer repairman, so I've given him a couple GE boards to remelt. Havn't used them in the field yet, but I'm guessing they are fine.

I'm glad you were able to repair the board.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've also noticed a severe lack of manners. Sadly, so. Not sure what's that all about.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The blinker fluid reservoir is right next to the back seat choke.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you do decide to toss it (as you will undoubtedly be advised by many in this group), first salvage some of the good stuff like the new parts you put in and, most importantly, the magnets in the door gaskets. Just slice 'em out with a razor blade. They're incredibly handy.

Reply to
rangerssuck

There is nothing useful in this fridge, even the shelves are glass instead of wire.

Ignoramus30441

I remember TV repairmen, and the most prominent memory, other than that tube caddy and their genial personalities, was the B.O.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I was reading a review of some computeristic trade show, and the writer was discussing some pitchdrone, who would answer all his questions very enthusiastically, with little or no information: "Yes, yes, we have all the latest features." "But, does it have ventricles?" "Yes, we keep up with all the latest technical advances!" "But, does it have ventricles in the frammistan?"

The writer says, "It was probably "frammistan" that tipped him off that I was messing with him" or some such.

But actually, the first time I heard "Frammistan" was on the "I Love Lucy" show (ca. 1950's), when Lucy and Ethel were trying to scam somebody, by impersonating the "Maharincess of Frammistan".

Or maybe "Franistan." ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I've also heard that called the "three-pronged blivet"

the "Mad POIUYT."
But "veeblefork?" That's a new one on me! ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In USAF electronics tech school, we used to send the newbies out for a bucket of prop wash, 20 ft. of flight line, a cup of grid-leak bias, and when doing the floor, a buffer amplifier. ;-)

Some guy actually came back with a cup of some pink liquid, which they had told him was "grid-leak bias."

And then there's the guy who wanted to borrow a Crescent wrench, and the shop guy asked, "Metric or standard?" ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Its closely related to, but totally different from the famed veeblefetzer.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

The patient is dying, the horse is about dead, quit wasting time on it. Tomorrow at 8am you can get 30% off friges and apliances in illinois, 15% from gov and 15% from places like sears and best buy, are you that ignorant that you could pass up that deal, mr ignoramus.

Reply to
ransley

That, plus the Yellow Pages are so quaint...

Do you have a web site? (The new Yellow Pages)

Reply to
HeyBub

Or a soldering iron.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Ignoramus30441" wrote

I have heard of MinnesOHtans making fish smokers out of them. They use a tiny tiny fire, and IIRC, all the magic happens at 140 degrees or less.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I have a smoker built into my grill, it works not so badly.

Ignoramus30441

IF you want to start that compressor if it will ever start shock it with three phase 220 without any caps connected. Its sorta like using a defibrillator for compressors.

Best advice is to get a new refrigerator.

John

Reply to
john