Refrigerator not working again

I've yet to see an old refrigeration unit that used R22 since R12 was the first of its type. I use something called R416a in place of R12 and it's more efficient, takes less refrigerant to do the same job and it runs a lower head pressure which makes it good for old systems because it puts less of a load on them. Oh yea, it's a drop in, no oil change necessary.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Where are the muffler bearings?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sort of missed the point, didn't you? I envy anyone that has the balls to try to learn something new. If he has no success, so what? He's doing what he wants to do---explore, in the hopes of learning something. If he succeeds, so much the better. Frankly, we need more people like Iggy, not fewer.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

I think the guy is a great treasure for the electronics community, I really admire him. He has the ability to share his knowledge better than most of the teachers I've come across which is a unique talent.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Believe it or not, there is such a thing as a muffler bearing. A front wheel drive car may have one to accommodate the movement of a transverse mounted engine.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It used to be a joke among used care salesmen, when telling people what was wrong with their trade-ins in the '60s & '70s. "Our mechanic just informed me that we'll have to take $250 off our offer, since the muffler bearings are bad..." ;-)

That's why I never traded in a used car, or bought one off a lot.

The other was a joke to confuse the new guy at the parts counter, when one of the mechanics would tell him he needed a muffler bearing for a 65 Mustang. Maybe it was a regional thing?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I like his description of the 'Cursor Circuit' in his TV typewriter article: "Have you ever tried to design one?" or something to that effect.

He also wrote some pretty good April Fools stories. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I got real tickled when I heard a parts man call another supplier and ask for a harmonica balancer for a Chevy V8.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

They got tossed into that box of flight line..ya..that one.

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I remember watching the harmonic balancer from the Chevy 283 in my van rolling up the exit ramp off I-75 at Lima Ohio, after it bounced around under the engine cover a couple times. I was doing 35 MPH, and it was outrunning the van. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Oh yeah? Well, my daddy's bigger than your daddy.

Harold & Susan Vordos

And tossed into the trash when they were looking for the skyhooks...

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sigh. I was a Broadcast engineer at three TV stations and a bunch of AM radio stations. All of which would fire you on the spot if you were inept, or an asshole.

I ran a repair depot for a large MSO CATV operator, where we did millions of dollars worth of repairs for the various systems we owned.

I also worked in manufacturing and engineering for a company that provided Telemetry systems for NASA, NOAA and the European Space Agency. They never told us how to do our job. They just asked for a price and wrote a check. Some of our equipment was still in use over 30 years after delivery and had never been serviced. It was being used to track some of NASA's deep space probes that were launched in the early '70s.

My work is aboard the International Space Station, while yours is rusting in moldy basements, and your industry has a reputation worse that TV repairmen used to.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 22 Sep 2010

23:57:24 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I've got the drawings for the semi inverted nuts that hold the retaining bracket for the end.

The Chrome Plated ones are next to the remote overhead windshield wiper knobs.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I had one of those in my stepvan. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You know, that sounds like a fun job. Sad, that you havn't found honest HVAC companies. I'm not sure about my part of the world. I did see a video years ago. A news team had a HVAC system disabled (remove one wire nut from the contactor wire). And then called different companies to come out and look. One cut a wire on the contactor coil, even. I think one of the companies they called noticed the loose wire, and fixed it inexpensively.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When NYS came out with the red dye in heating kerosene. I bought some "red lantern oil" for a friend.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, I've also done some good april fool jokes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hey Mike, I worked out at The Kwajalein Missile Range back in 87 and 88, there was a lot of telemetry going on there, did you happen to be working in the telemetry field at the time? It's now The Ronald Reagan Ballistic Missile Defense Test Site, I think I know why it was renamed. There was some pretty cool stuff going on there back in the late 80's and I'll bet there is some even cooler stuff going on there now. And speaking of cool, there was a good sized sat dish with a cryo cooled LNA or LNB right near my living quarters. I loved it out in the islands.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I wanna blow stuff up too! Pleeeez! Meeeee Toooooo! 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas