Refrigerator not working again

"Steve B" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

OH, NO! According to .p.jm. you should charge another minimum 4 hours for your screw-up! C'mon, Steve!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Thermal protection. They usually trip the whole motor off. The buzzing Iggy reported would rule that out.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

And you do this 4 - 5 + times a day ? Bullshit.

BTW, what commercial AC customers in may cases know about their equipment is "I dunno, I think it's up on the roof somewhere'.

Now, picture this - I get dispatched to 4 calls on the north side of town. Let's say two 'known installations', and two 'unknowns'. All different brands, types, etc.

You think I take an hour or more between each one to run back to the shop, change out my truck stock based on 'Well, such and such MIGHT be bad' ?

Yeh, based on SOME cases, where the equipment is known, and where the customer can describe the symptoms ( or the shop can dial in to the system and see what's going on ), and IF the travel logistics make sense, the tech MIGHT swing by the shop for a certain controller ( IF it's in stock THERE ), etc, 'just in case'.

You're either a liar, an asshole, or both.

Reply to
.p.jm.

.p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Heh! That's the funny part. You think that's an extraordinary amount of work. I see 5000lb in a day to be a reasonable amount for a _skilled_ worker to handle, along with the technical details -- like coercing the electricians to do their job properly by actually KNOWING how to do it better than they do... by "encouraging" the A/V guys to figure out which channel is sync, and which is house audio, because they don't know, and I do... by talking through the stadium audio delays with the booth personnel, because they know what the delays are FOR, but not how they work... by explaining the law to the local fire marshal, because he's never actually read it himself... by... naw... you get the picture.

I actually USE more disciplines in a single day on a shoot site than you'll exercise in your whole career... and I _understand_ all of them (including how to build electronics on-site from "crap and bubblegum" when they're needed), while you barely understand that the high pressure line needs to be hooked up to the high pressure gauge.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

.p.jm.@see_my_sig_for_address.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Or... I've got YOU pegged, for sure! Besides, your reputation precedes you.

You are a thie.. um... HVAC "professional".

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yawn. You know nothing about electronic repair. The E24 range has a lot of different values. Then they come in multiple wattages, and specail applications. Fusible reistors used to be very common, and there were a lot of different versions.

Capacitors come in values from picfards to microfards, in a lot of different voltages and dielectrics. Then there were tubes, transistors, ICs, switches, controls and hardware. There was probably over a half million different parts made over the years, but you usually only saw about a dozen or so brands in an area. I'm sure that the wolsalers of your junk don't carry every brand of equipment, so you are using a pathetic strawman.

If the HVAC industry wasn't full of theives you'd have customer loyalty.

Maybe, if the company is run by idiots. We had a fleet of trucks, equipped for different brands

About the only things I took back to the shop were entire intercom consoles, and only after some idiot left it in an unsafe condition.

You're repating yourerself. You need to up your medication.

Yawn. I lived in Alaska for a while. Try driving a ground rod through permafrost when it's -40 outside.

You would probably try, except for the fact that you don't use coax on a TV broadcast tower. You use waveguide. 1/2" thick, and quite heavy. There are rubber seals between the flanges so it can be pressurized. Sometimes you have to cut off a damaged mounting bracket or a damaged bolt in a tower leg. Work you would never understand, with your Radio Shack crimper and rusty flea marked 'F' fittings.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You would try to use duct tape and scrap thermostat wire, so what do you know?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

" wrote:

Or set up and run the sound systems for three graduation ceremonies in three different cities in one day.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Most were cause by infant mortality in a replacement part, which was covered by the initial service charge.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Some people are honest. Others work in HVAC. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Whine, whine whine. $50,000? Big deal.

I talked a scientist in Antarctica through a repair procedure on a piece of equipment they had damaged to keep them from losing data on a two year project.

I built a KU band communications system that is a permanent part of the International Space Station. It is used for voice, video and data uplinks. The downlink was done with some of our standard equipment, but the ISS only has 48 VDC power and the equipment has to be built into one of their fancy low G aluminum rack modules.

I built the earth station that NOAA uses to control their LEO (Low Earth Orbit) weather satellites, and to receive the weather sat photos.

I built two earth stations for Italy, for their part in the European Space Agency. One fixed site, the other in an european style military trailer.

You huff freon and pretend to know what you're doing.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There weren't a lot back in the '70s when I was stationed at Rucker. Of course, it helped me make money on the side fixing stereos. I wouldn't touch a TV set, since I repaired video monitors for Uncle Sammy and it would have been considered conflict of interest. :)

I did fix one for the deputy base commander in Alaska after a local shop wanted $350 to replace a flyback transformer. I simply soldered the broken wire back to the terminal board, and had the asshole civilian file a complaint against me for 'illegal competition'. He wasn't just the only TV repairman in the area. He fixed the washers & dryers on base, and he was the only HVAC guy in 100+ miles. That was why people would borrow a pickup truck and drive the Alcan highway to Fairbanks to have their TV fixed. The jerk wanted $25 for a 6GH8. I was buying them for 39 cents each, by the case. Not imports, they were Sylvania or RCA, depending on who had a special that month.

When that claim failed, he claimed that i was stealing parts from the TV station. When they examined the records, they discovered that some of the repairs at the station were done from my personal inventory.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Don't know what .p.jm. does, but for me, callbacks were no charge IF it was something I did, and not further damage after I left. I make no suggestions as to what others "should" do. AND I didn't say I'd be back next week. They were first on the list. I hate doing business with companies that when you have a problem, they tell you it's going to be next week before they can get a guy out there "because they're busy."

I do know that when I sold the business, I had 278 rock solid accounts that no other company in town could take away from me. And that was because I did the right thing in those circumstances. Over the time, if I felt it was due to their abuse or negligence and not from something I did, I always had the chance to pick up some of the loss, if not all.

Business was good, and it was rare that I did that. And if someone was a pain, I'd just decline the work and say I was too busy. Same with slow pay.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

And a picture of the average "tech" from alt.hvac

So your point is?

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

So you are saying that you are going to rip off the client if you have the parts..and if you dont have the parts..you are going to make them wait..and then rip them off for an additional 2 hours.

Is that your admission?

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Only a lazy cur would make that statement.

His crews are not lazy curs.

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

No idea. Find it yourself if it irks you.

Some Jew guy from the attribute.

A sentiment I agree with 100% btw.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

You can get shots to alleviate your allergies.

Reply to
HeyBub

Did that, through my high school and college years. I doubt that any injection will help with tobacco smoke, though. Not that I'd want to. My allergies help prevent me from harm.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

yeh - you're pretty much the Second Coming. We got it.

Don't forget to bring an extra chair for your ego.

Reply to
.p.jm.