Over sized condenser ?

Let me start off by saying I know doing this is to the a/c is so wrong. It's one of those shake your head and walk away laughing kind of things to me.

But in a few months almost the whole house will be gutted including the hvac. Everything will be scrapped then including both condensers. I just want a little a/c until then anyway.

I should mention that I do hvac for a living. It's my house and and the reason for the over sized condenser is it's only temporary, free, works and is just some old 5 ton condensing unit taking up space anyway.

Details: A tractor smashed the crap out of my existing 3 ton condensing unit. The condensing unit going in is 58,000 btu (builder grade) My hvac is a older 3 ton gas/electric split system. (builder grade) It will get hot here (Chino, california) 100f degree I do not care about the efficency I do not care about the performance I do not care about the energy

Forum Post?

I have no experience dealing with missmatched equipment problems like this and was wondering if the existing evaporator section and low refigerent charge will be enough for it to actually run without failing??

Thanks Danny

Reply to
Danny G.

one of those shake

Everything will be

for the over sized

condensing unit

Simple. I'll put it in your own words. I do not care about your efficiency I do not care about your performance I do not care about the energy I do not care if it works I do not care if it fails Perform you own experiment, write down every single detail and do NOT report back to us. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

If you get it to work even a little, it wont run for long with poor oil return, low suction, over heated compressor, iced coil. Of course, you could put a hot gas bypass on it and a cooling type TXV for the compressor, or size a cap tube to allow enough gas bypass from the liquid line to cool the compressor. Or, you can put an EPR on the unit to stop icing and use an oil separator to get the oil back to the compressor, in which case you need to cool the compressor once again.

Hmmmm, I guess the answer is ,,, what the heck, you guess what the answer is.

Oh, BTW, 400 cfm per ton, you have three tons x 400= 1200cfm. 5 tons =2000 cfms. Whats your guess as to what will happen when you have 800 cfms less?

Reply to
Geoman

It's one of those shake

hvac. Everything will be

reason for the over sized

condensing unit

"I should mention that I do hvac for a living."

That's a scary thought!!!!!!

Reply to
<kjpro

one of those shake

Everything will be

for the over sized

condensing unit

LOL

Reply to
Danny G.

BOO!

Did I make you jump! 8)

Reply to
Danny G.

return, low suction, over heated compressor, iced coil. Of

compressor, or size a cap tube to allow enough gas

the unit to stop icing and use an oil separator to

compressor once again.

cfms. Whats your guess as to what will happen when you

Must be some good drugs.

Reply to
Danny G.

Great response Geoman! I once ran into a situation where someone put a 3-ton condenser on a

2-ton system. Of course the compressor was burt out. To add to the problem the evaporator and blower wheel were both loaded with lint!

There are various ways you can downsize the condenser and make it work okay. A 5-ton condenser on a 3-ton system, you will soon have a horrible mess to clean up. Get a used window/room jammer. Here is what a little half-ton can do in

104-F Heat Index!

I will bet that the 3-ton system was oversized for Chino in LA, CA. Summer Outdoor Design Conditions 89-dry bulb, 70-wetr bulb, 39% RH. Have a manual J done before you install a new system! - udarrell

udarrell

You should probably humor yourself then with some of the Trane factory approved match ups. You might be suprised how wrong you can be although the OP will certainly have quite a mess with what he seems to be proposing. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

--- snip

From my prospective the tractor side swiping my equipment and dragging away already caused the mess. I am just doing damage control.

I could be a jerk and just laugh and walk away because in a few months that place will be torn down anyway. But sometimes without a/c at midnight i t&#39;s still a oven and i&#39;m not a jerk.

Oh BTW: "proposing"? I was only looking for opinions about the least bad size metering device because I do not know off the top of my head.

Reply to
Danny G.

Thank you for the reply and espessially for the sincere effort.

-- snip --

Heat Index!

That place has the correct size system. At least on paper. But the whole place will be a pile of tooth picks pretty soon anyway.

Reply to
Danny G.