OLD Rudd Furnace - Burner will not stay lit.

and thats exactly why you shouldnt be giving advice. You've obviously never taken a gas valve apart. Many of them have filters in them. They just arent meant to be "user serviceable"

Then why do orifices in pilot burners have to be cleaned?

Hey.......good guess, Einstein.

Nope. Wrong again. Everyone knows you have to replace the thermostat first.

........and as for James, dont worry. I wont show up at your doorstep. Especially to work on a rooftop unit. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

"Jim" wrote

Ya Jim...sure do, yuck yuck!! Stormin and Canada Heat! Why, they's just two of smartust dern fellers I've ever cum across, if ya know's whats I mean..wink wink, nudge, nudge... So tell us, Jimmy boy...where did ya'll learn to stick road flares up yer butt???

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

For those of you that took the time to give a meaningful reply. I THANK YOU! This is the way newsgroups should work, to educate, learn, assist, humor, and provide support for others.

I figured out my problem it was a weak flame (pilot light). This one should be added to your "HVAC- I Can't Believe It" book.

I did not call-in a tech. I am not sure how much it would have cost me or how long it would have taken to attempt the repair. Some maybe 5 minutes, others like Bob may have taken days. (I can just hear him now, the duct tape is on back order, can't do my thing until then.)

OK, looking back the pilot flame was at 70-75% of what it should be (or what it is now in working state). Last night, while I was at the furnace I asked my girl friend to go turn on all the burners on the gas stove to see if it had a problem. I have a foot injury and can barely walk. She returned and said the stove is fine. This morning at 5:30 AM, I got up to jump start the furnace with my candle stick lighter and was unable to get the main burners to stay lit. A bit puzzled I hoppled out to the kitchen, put a large pot of water on the stove to boil for humidity and a bit of heat. I noticed a reduce flame on the stove! I went out to the gas meter and found a layer of ice about 1/8 to ¼ thick covering the bottom half of the face of the meter. I positioned my turbo kerosene heater near the meter and 5 minutes later the furnace was working fine. Due to my foot injury I did not shovel near the meter in the back yard. The sleet and some melting snow had formed a layer of ice on the ground. The snow on the roof was melting and dripping down to ground. Where the drops hit the ground it formed a small unfrozen canal holding water. The drops splashed on to the face of the meter where they froze and slowed the gas flow.

Cheers,

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Geeze Bob that's way too much information for me. You really pulled that one out of the air... or some where?

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim

You're forgetting one thing though Jim. We really really dont give a flyin fuquer what you did. Luckily or unluckily you didnt blow up the gas meter. Maybe if we are all lucky, you will find a way to do that next time. Cheers, Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

LOL, if ya didn't care then why did you read my post?

Hey maybe you, Bob LoBlow, and kjpro can all form your own circle jerk! Careful where you sit thought, Bob likes to hide those flares.

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim

Why? You're practicing your I'm-A-Jagoff skills here.

-zero

Reply to
zero

I also see that you CAN'T handle the truth... what a shame.

Reply to
<kjpro

You couldn&#39;t afford him anyway...

Reply to
<kjpro

Yeah, might as well replace something that can be cleaned... what a baboon.

# 1 Call a competent tech

# 2 If you don&#39;t like # 1, have Chris call his boss for advice

Reply to
<kjpro

He&#39;d have to find one first!

Reply to
<kjpro

You&#39;re the only "Jerk" here... well, I shouldn&#39;t leave out Chris...

But I thought you were leaving?

Reply to
<kjpro

Its like this Jim. Its entertainment. Again, to tell you the truth, I dont care what your mess looks like because "I cant see it from my house" and I dont care if yours is working or not because you know what? "Its nice and comfortable at my home". Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Call someone who knows what they are doing. Don&#39;t mess with it yourself--you could blow yourself up.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Oh shit. Another Internet Superstar here to tell us what a newsgroup is for...

What a cheapskate dumb-ass! He&#39;s proud he got that 28-year old piece of shit running again. I hope he doesn&#39;t have any family members sleeping in that house...

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Well thanks for the humor part.

-zero

Reply to
-zero

"Jim" wrote

Hey, no problem!

We found much humour in your posts.

A weak pilot flame??!! Wow! Never seen ANYTHING like that in 20 years!

Are you kidding?? Weeks...maybe years...a weak pilot flame...go figure...

(I can just hear him

There&#39;s always bubblegum...I lean towards Double Bubble..

You have a problem, all right, but the gas stove isn&#39;t it...

A lesser man would be in the hospital, I&#39;m sure...your girlfriend is so lucky to have you!

You should have tried the flare/bubble gum trick....did I mention that already?...

Comments would be superfluous....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...sorry, I must have dozed off........

LOL!!! Nice idea!! I&#39;m wide awake again...I&#39;m getting some popcorn for this one!

Let me get this straight....water frozen to the OUTSIDE FACE of the meter slowed down the gas flow???? Ya...OK..... Please don&#39;t let this be your last post...you&#39;re a fun guy! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Sorry Bubba.... But you are not my type, go check out that guy that carries duct tape and flares.

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim

"Jim" wrote

LOL!! I like you , Jim...honest...you make me laugh...

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Yep, it happened! But what is really funny is how stupid you look right now, to those of us that know this can occur!

5 mins after melting the ice off the gas meter, the gas stove burners were back to 100% and the furnace functioned as normal. And you thought you knew everything! That&#39;s why I took the time to explain my problem and solution so people like you could maybe learn something.

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim