OLD Rudd Furnace - Burner will not stay lit.

Page 1 of 4
Rudd Model= UGAA-10EC, Serial #=TN3D104 M2779 3228 Electronic Ignition Furnace (Spark)
Problem: Originally, the pilot light worked but the main burners would not light. I cleaned the Flame Sensor tip with some light sand paper. Now, the main burners will light but they quickly shut off after about 10-30 secs. If I hold a long-stick candle lighter to the Flame sensor when the main burner lights I can get the sensor hot enought to keep the furnace going for a several minutes.
OK, so bad sensor and/or weak flame? Does the sensor need to be glowing red hot? The flame looks ok to me, but a Tech I called who is out of state said the gas company is putting something in the gas that is clogging up the furnaces. My problem just started last night. I'm thinking about removing the small gas line from the controller to the pilot-light point and clean it out from end to end. Next step replace the sensor (Automatic Pilot E1 Type 3098-136). I was also wondering if this has a gas filter I could change? The GAS controller has several numbers on it 7921 E11, also has Model 36c84, type 220, 24v 60hz, max pr 1/2 psi, filter cap 2cfh air.
Thanks for your time.
Cheers, Jim

the
for
red
said
removing
it
Type
Seriously... please call a qualified HVAC tech to come out, correctly diagnose and repair your furnace.
Messing around with a gas appliance is NOT for an individual that ISN'T properly trained to do so. (and don't try to tell me that you are qualified... I can tell by your post that you ARE NOT)

LOL! So your clueless but you have psychic powers! Contact the Heroes show maybe they can work you in, the Psychic Tech with special on-line powers.
Cheers, Jim

I also see that you CAN'T handle the truth... what a shame.

Your welcome. Anytime. Replace everything, one at a time, starting with the thermostat first. When it works, you've figured it out. Bubba

OK, now I know HOW YOU WORK, I hope you never show up at my doorstep.
Cheers, Jim

You couldn't afford him anyway...

Here's the short and sweet of it.... that is a 100,000 natural gas furnace with a 2 ton, direct drive blower, and was manufactured in the 27th week of 1979...... that makes it 27 years old. They only build them to last 18 - 20 years with correct installation and proper maintenance. Its long past time to replace the furnace with a new one. There is a high probablility that the new furnace will pay for itself in just a couple of years in energy savings and keep you a lot more comfortable.
BTW, your furnace is shutting down on a safety, and screwing around with it, without finding out what the root cause of the problem is, and correcting it, could be potentially dangerous to you and your family.

So does this mean you don't like my road flare solulution?
Respectfully, Bob

Bob, stop hitting on the other Techs!
It's out of the bag Bob, we all know you like red-hot rods!
Cheers, Jim

Finally a reply worth reading! Thank you! I know it's old, but I am not sure of the In-Service date. I have plans to replace it soon when I remodel the backroom addition. About 2-3 years ago I replaced the blower motor (due to bearing vibration), the parts shop look at the old motor and said Wow, I'm surprised this old thing still ran.
Cheers, Jim

It is very unlikely that the line to the pilot is clogged. There is not any gas filters. I've never heard of the "something in the gas that is clogging up furnaces" story before. It could be the flame sensor or a number of other things. Without specifications and test equipment you will have to resort to replacing suspect items. That can get expensive pretty quickly and nothing electrical will be returnable. If you really want to go that route I imagine most people would guess the sensor as the next likely item. Your unit is well into the end of it's life expectancy. And as others pointed out it is a bit dangerous to mess around with gas appliances.

Thank you for your reply. I may have poorly worded the "something in the gas" story, the sensor was a bit frosted (white power/coating), that's what the tech mean't by something in the gas. I figured it out this morning, read me last post if you want to know what was wrong.
Cheers, Jim
On 26 Feb 2007 07:45:18 -0800, "jamesgangnc"

and thats exactly why you shouldnt be giving advice. You've obviously never taken a gas valve apart. Many of them have filters in them. They just arent meant to be "user serviceable"

Then why do orifices in pilot burners have to be cleaned?

Hey.......good guess, Einstein.

Nope. Wrong again. Everyone knows you have to replace the thermostat first.

........and as for James, dont worry. I wont show up at your doorstep. Especially to work on a rooftop unit. Bubba

Your not so sure ...but then you go for it.

This WILL get expensive in just a little bit.
It could be quite a few things. It would be also be irresponsible to attempt an even close-to-proper diagnosis over Usenet.
-zero

"It could be quite a few things. It would also be irresponsible to attempt an even close-to-proper diagnosis over Usenet."
-zero

Practice your Posting Skills in alt.test.

Why? You're practicing your I'm-A-Jagoff skills here.
-zero
As Noon mentions, that's pretty old equipment. If you have the chance, replace the furnace with one of the new 90 percenters.
Flame sensors do go bad, so that's one item to replace. There's a couple other things you can do to help things along, but replacing the flame sensor is a good starts.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

"When Flame Sensors Go Bad...A Mormon Perspective" Is your flame sensor staying out late... hanging out with the wrong crowd... smelling of the demon alcohol... refusing to go to church????? Send your cheque or money order to: Stormin Mormon Church of LDS (not LSD) Utah
--
Respectfully, Bob