mini-split heat pumps

For those of you who are looking into selling and installing mini-splits, be forewarned... the gage manifold ports may or may not be an industry standard size. I just ran into this problem this evening(after the supply house closed of course). The particulars on this system are ComfortStar CHH018CD-13 230/1/60 410a Mini Split HP 18,000 BTU. THe gage ports are a larger size than the staandard fittings.

Thought y'all might want to know.

Reply to
Noon-Air

The Mitsubishi City Multi systems we've put in have adapters on the ports. Apparently Japan uses different size ports than we do. Is that ComforStar made in Japan too?

George

Reply to
Turbo Torch

Manufacturers use different size to avoid cross contamination of refrig oils and higher pressures with 410.

Reply to
Dave + Gloria

p.s. refco make a set of guages for about $100, flash case, standard charge hose and correct fittings on high and low press hoses. Just for 410.

Reply to
Dave + Gloria

It's odd that Mitsubishi goes through the trouble of using different ports and then supplying the port adapters preinstalled on US units. Seems to be circumventing a good idea at added manufacturing cost. The subject was brought up at the City Multi certification school and I vaguely remember the instructer telling the guys attending from foreign countries that theirs wouldn't have the adapters. I thought it may have been an SAE vs. Metric thing.

I've not run into the different ports on any other brands but maybe I should buy a set of the adapters. Anyone find these on US built 410 units yet?

George

Reply to
Turbo Torch

Maybe you should read my original post on the subject.

Reply to
Noon-Air

So are Fujistsu's. I think the asian community is making up for the size where they may be lacking in some respects. :)

Reply to
Zyp