Is an Old Air Handler Worthless

Back in the 60's, my dad had air conditioning put in the house. It hasn't been used in about 20 years.

Is it junk or should it be kept "just in case?"

ecarecar

The "air handler" pics are actually for a honeywell air cleaner, the

*actual* air handler that its attached to, looks like an old Rheem or Ruud by the color..... I have several of those on the scrap pile.... they are good for about $0.50/hundred at the scrap yard. And, no they are not compatible with any of the new equipment.
Reply to
Noon-Air

Based on the pics, its junk unless it still works.

Reply to
Power's Mechanical

The efficiency has gone way up in the last 50 years. Even if you got a new outdoor unit, the system still wouldn't be very efficient. And you'd have a hard time finding a HVAC tech who would be willing to use old equipment. Too likely to leak, or give you bad service.

My vote would be to have a HVAC tech pump the old freon out, and scrap the unit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So, if it works, then it works.

Heat exchanger fins wouldn't be excessively corroded limiting heat exchange? Tubing could be flushed out?

About how much would a new one cost? I'm at a point where it would be convenient to remove it if it were to be removed.

Reply to
ecarecar

Withour the actual make/model/serial number this is about what you can expect....

Maybe, maybe not

If you got enough money, anything is possible, but there won't be any guarantee against any leaks.

Somewhere between $1 and $100,000

ummm....ok, let us know how it comes out.

Reply to
Noon-Air