Intercity Products intermittently cooling

I have a Intercity Products PGAA29C1K1 that recently started cutting on and off, intermittently, in cool mode. The blower motor runs continuously. I inititally thought it was the thermostat...a digitial hi-tech model with all the timers and programs, swithched that to a regular single temperature thermostat with a thermistor...no help...then put the original, 10 year old, old school sping and mercury thermostat back on. Still no deal. Yes I changed the batteries in the first two. It's a 4 wire system. Often, when I turn the thermo to cold (fan is set to auto), the compressor won't kick on, but the blower will. This is usually the case. Rarely, the compressor will kick on, and run anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours. Here I sit typing this, in my house temp is up to 110, damn thing hasn't run since 9 am (in Raleigh, NC, no shade on house). I suspect something is over heating, and the heat of the day accelerates that.

I post here, because I'm getting kind of desparate. I've had 3 contractors here, all smelling a quick and easy kill, telling me a) the whole thing needs to be replaced and b) do I want to get on their list for an appointment (4 weeks). The compressor was replaced in 2000. I'm also...err....in a little cash flow situation...work for the state...and I just got switched to bi-weekly pay, so I'll only get a

1/4 pay check at the end of this month (it all got pushed forward in some kinda accounting scam that I'm sure is going to scew me at the end of the year). So if there's any secret "stick a piece of copper pipe between the terminals" fix....i'd love to hear it. Death by 240 V shock will be a welcome relief from the hell I'm sweltering in now. I'm hoping there's a simple, obvious fix like a run capicitor or something like that....thanks.
Reply to
tpcolson

I can help you with that. Turn the system on, Take the cover off, find any piece with wires on them and grab hold. That'll be 99.99, you're welcome.

Reply to
Al Moran

Simple fix, usually. Change the stat again. Its almost always the stat. If that doesnt work, go outside, take your shoes off, stand in a puddle of water, open the electrical disconnect and grab the bare wires with a good tight grip. Oh, by the way. Your story is wonderful. You are what you are. If you dont like your life, wife or job, Change them. Dont whine to us. We dont care. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba