HVAC Cooling Coil

I have to install a new furnace (oil) with an A-Coil for Cooling. Due to height requirments I am putting in a low boy that is 37" tall. Again, due to existing duct work issues, I would like to place the coil on the return side of the unit (negative pressure). The unit is a Concord. My supply house tells me this is not recommended and may cause corrosion of the heat exchanger. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this our thoughts?

Thanks

Roy

Reply to
rfrost

Yeah, don't do it!

Reply to
<kjpro

My thoughts??? Ok, but its not what you want to hear. Concord is cheap shit for a reason. Other manufacturers make furnaces that are only 34 inches tall, but they will only sell to bonified contractors. There is also a reason that manufactures tell you in the installation instructions NOT to put the evap coil on the RA side of a gas furnace. Also *most* manufacturers have put out changes to their warranties that state any of their equipment that is *NOT* purchased from a legitmate dealer or distributor are null and void....this includes *ANY* of their equipment that is purchased off the internet.

Call a pro, because its painfully obvious that you not one.

Reply to
Noon-Air
55 dF air across the heat exchanger will condense a lot more water vapor than 72-75dF air. That&#39;s why they recommend the coil be after the heat exchanger rather than before it. Being an oil burner I presume it&#39;s not a draft induced flue. If it is there is less chance for the warm outside air to settle in the heat exchanger, but even so there will be outdoor air in the exchanger & it&#39;ll condense & rust from the inside out.

thenagainimightbewrong...

goodluck geothermaljones

Reply to
geothermaljones

why the hell would you replace an oil burner with another ???

if your going to the trouble , get rid of the nastiness

snipped-for-privacy@billericapolice.org wrote:

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

You&#39;re not! :-)

Reply to
<kjpro

Another FACT! :-)

Reply to
<kjpro

What are you thinking? If you&#39;re thinking what we&#39;re thinking, then I think that what you&#39;re thinking, isn&#39;t what you should be thinking. You think?

But I think if they find out what you think you think. Then they&#39;ll realize they&#39;ll have to think about suing you for what you are thinking about doing if you do it.

I&#39;d think again about even thinking of thinking to do what you&#39;re thinking.

Reply to
Bill

I&#39;m with your supply house on this one.

Reply to
CJT

I appreciate your email, and I think I appreciate the responses posted by the other members. I used to be a refrigeration technician years ago after I got out of the "Voc" after high school. I got pretty good with that. I used to also do installations during college when I changed fields and got into law enforcement. I know I am not even close to a professional, but I can hold my own. I am doing this for a widowed woman whos son is my best friend and I&#39;m trying to help. I have a "professional" tin man, also a high school friend, that is doing the duct work. The system I am replacing is forty years old and the duct work is existing. We are trying to accomadate a supply and return run that feeds half of the home (split level ranch). This is why I am using a low boy furnace and want to place the a coil on the return. We are going to cap the existing return and make up for it with a new higher one that will pull from a spot higher up and also is common to the old returns area of work. My tin guy is the one who first suggested this and told me he sees this done on lots of jobs (professional). He called his supplier and was told it was okay to do, just usually not recommended due to corrosion potential. Are you confident this is a bad move, and if so, do you have any other suggestions. I really do appreciate the groups comments.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

my only response is if your replacing the furnace why go with oil? its nasty. its expensive, and parts are getting harder and harder to find oil furnaces are a dying breed, most 80 and 90 % furnaces these days are only 40 inches tall or less

Roy wrote:

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

Because in some area may not have natural gas have you taught about that.

Reply to
Tony

He may have "thought" there was Nat or LP in the area... ya think?

Reply to
<kjpro

even if nat wasnt , lp should be ,

wrote:

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

You have to excuse Tony, he lives in the woods and burns wood.

Reply to
<kjpro

So may be his using methane and it is much cleaner then other gases hmm why did not I think of taht

Reply to
Tony