Seeking Instructions for Cleaning Evaporator Coil?

I'd like to learn to clean my evaporator coils myself. My HVAC units are hanging from rafters in my attic. Is this as simple as removing a duct, reaching in and spraying aerosol coil cleaner, then rinsing it with a garden sprayer? I assume the runoff will exit through the condensation pipes.

Help?

Pictures of my units:

Thanks!

Reply to
Spare

Anyone?

Reply to
Spare

Read the nameplate and prodide us with make/model of your unit.

Reply to
avid_hiker

It depends on whether it is lint clogged! If it is lint clogged it many have to be pulled & that requires a licensed Tech! Keep the return air well filtered!

udarrell

filtered!

quoted text -

Thanks avid_hiker and udarrell,

a bit of background.. we have been in this house for 3 years. It appears that the former homeowner didn't do a good job maintaining the house because when we moved in, I instected the air filters, and they were so dirty that they had collapsed into the duct. I change the filters monthly.

I'd like to try removing the ducts, spraying the coil with coil cleaner, rinsing with water (via a garden sprayer), then reattach duct.

I updated the site with photos of the model numbers, and they are:

Unit #1 Furnace: MAKE: Lennox MODEL: GS18Q3-50-5 MFG: 1987 Evaporator: MAKE: American Standards Trane MODEL: TXH033A4HPA1 MFG: 03/99

Unit #2 Furnace: MAKE Lennox MODEL: G50UH-36A-070-02 Evaporator: MAKE: Lennox MODEL: CH23-41-1

Reply to
Spare

if its lint covered, i use a long brush to clean it off,,,like one of those window scrapers with a long brush on it.brush the lint to a pile and vac it out. hosing it works but i think you might have trouble with the water drainiing where it shouldnt..lucas

ds549

Before you go removing ducts, just take the front panel off the coil. Then, first check to see if the coil is actually dirty enough to justify the work of cleaning it. If it is, see if you have enough access to get in and clean the coil. Run the unit for an hour or so-- long enough to get the coil and buildup thoroughly wet, then get a powerful shop vac and vac the entire coil surface. You may have to get creative and rig a special extension/attatchment to get to all the coil, but it doesn't have to be anything fancy-- some 3/4 PVC and duct tape. Try not to ever brush a coil-- if you are not VERY careful, you will force the crud into the fins instead of removing it, and also bent up the fins. If you are going to use any chemical cleaner, also be very careful. Even if the directions say it is not necessary, I would rinse it afterwards. The problem is that the drain setup on the coils is designed to take a slow steady trickle of water, not a blast with a garden hose. Good luck Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

Thanks for the tips. Stupid question, but how can I even inspect the coil..?! There is no access door, and the leading edge of the coil is behind the furnace assy, which I assume would block access. I could get to the trailing edge by removing a duct, but that back side won't have the lint buildup.. only the leading edge. Do I have to disect the unit? I was hoping to aviod that.

Reply to
Spare