Radiator use as a cooling coil

A friend has recommended I use an old radiator hooked up to the water supply as an AC with my furnace. He swears it works as his dad used one. Since the tap water is approx 55F in the summer it seems feasible to me. Where should the "coil" be installed? In the plenum or return air supply? BTW: Water is not metered here.

Reply to
Roy

ask your friend or his dad moron, since they swear it works

tell me do your brains rattle when you roll over in bed?

Reply to
gofish

I've also thought about this idea. I kind of think that the humidity would get to you after awhile, even though it is cooling off your house. The plenum of the furnace would seem to be the logical choice because you're directly blowing the air into you home. Still, the humidity....

Reply to
Jimmy the Hand

How would you get humidity off a radiator? It's a closed system. Or, should be. That would be like getting humidity from under the hood of your car. Which is a closed system, or should be.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The coil should be in the plenum, so that you don't cool the furnace, and cause condensation on the furnace heat exchanger. You'll need some kind of condensate drain under the radiator. Other than that, it sounds workable.

I knew a family who heated their house with a remote burner. They had a wood stove with a couple loops of tubing, out in the garage. Burried a water line from the detached garage to the house, and used a radiator in the house with a fan. The man would get up early and go fire up the woodstove with oil, tires, etc. Some kind of water circulator pump to move the heat from the garage to the house.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The humidity would be formed by the cold water (whether it be well-water or town/city water) which is colder than the ambient air temperature. While this water passed through your pipes and your radiator, water would condense on the outside of the rad/piping and your furnace fan would blow this into your home, hence increasing the houses' humidity.

Reply to
Jimmy the Hand

I think you will find that more water is removed from the air than put into the air. In any case, read what you wrote again. Supposing that there are five galons a day of water condensed out of the air. And that one of those galons of water is sprayed back into the house.

five galons out

one galon put back

Now, was that a loss, or a gain? If anything you'd have to deal with LESS humidity in the house. Which, summer time, isn't a bad thing.

You will need a drain under the radiator, in order to deal with the CONDENSATE, which results from condensing humidity. The only way to add humidity would be for the water flow from the city water to be leaking.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

unadulterated horseshit. I suppose you've never heard of chilled water cooling coils, drain pans and condensate drains.

Reply to
gofish

I've been wondering where all that added water comes from. Jimmy figures to condense air out of the return, reevaporate it into the supply and some how that increases humidity.

Well, to a less seasoned tech, the thought of all that water spraying into the air sure looks like increased humidity.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I stand corrected and apologize for wasting bandwidth as well as usenet space.

Reply to
Jimmy the Hand

The typical HVAC on large buildings use water provide heat to exterior zones. Chilled water coils are also common.

It should be mounted on the supply side.

A radiator would not work worth beans. The correct coil and controls are normal in stock parts and would remove 10x the heat and might even cost less installed.

GL Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

Where would I purchase the coil?

Reply to
Roy

The coil is going to remove humidity. You have to figure a way to catch and drain the condensate.

I would like to know where you are going to dump that much water? You have unlimited water supply, what kind of drainage system do you have? What a waste of natural resources

Reply to
Bob Pietrangelo

Simple answer Roy is yes you can use radiator. However as you asked were would you mount bloody thing and how, cost for ducting may cost your money that you do not want to spend. You can use the water for cooling but you should consider buying proper coil that is made for that and then you should also consider water cost if you are paying for it, nothing comes for nothing remember that Good luck from DIDO

Dido

Simple answer Roy is yes you can use radiator. However as you asked were would you mount bloody thing and how, cost for ducting may cost your money that you do not want to spend. You can use the water for cooling but you should consider buying proper coil that is made for that and then you should also consider water cost if you are paying for it, nothing comes for nothing remember that Good luck from DIDO

Dido

Just about any HVAC vendor. Places that supply materials for commercial work in my area they are in stock parts.

You will not have condensation with chilled water system coils.

Reply to
Danny G.

If the temp of the coil is lower than the air passing through the coil.... I'd expect condensation.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

you mean if the temp of the coil is below dew point??

Reply to
Noon-Air

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reply to
Noon-Air

Ummmmmm

Dew Point....look it up, think about it....say it again....it was funny the first time too.

Reply to
aka-SBM