HVAC Closets vs. Attic

when I have to crawl in to a hot attic your going to buy something you could even end up getting sould a new furnice installed in the closet there is no such a thing as a cool attic in the summer standing seam roofs do not reflect heat lay some sheet metal out in the summer sun and try picking it up after an hour or so

Reply to
""rob"

It's a roof that is externally insulated. The standing seam is on top of the insulation. Attic is a less than two degrees warmer than the air conditioned space below.

The sealed, insulated attic keeps the heat out in the first place. Vented attics are for ice dams. This is a year round cooling environment.

Reply to
Abby Normal

replying to gofish, Divine Design wrote: Flex duct is garbage, it causes drag on air flow. Critters love making nests in it!!!! Properly installed and insulated tin can be done easily during construction phase. As long as good communication between contractor, homeowners and company doing system is in place. I have had houses with nothing but hard insulated duct, houses with flex duct and a house with a combination of both. We have had repeated problems with flex and only one problem with the hard duct. The ceiling registers sweated, (we live in FL where humidity is extreme) this was easily remedied by installing thermostatically controlled attic vent fans. We installed two, our house was 3000 sq ft. We put one on each side of our attic. We also added extra installation to our vent. Never had another problem. All of this can be done as stated during installation. When we built our last house all duct was run of course prior to drywall installation so techs had full access to duct with no obstruction to doing their work. It?s what they do every day and know all the tricks to making sure all joints, screws etc are sealed with duct sealant, then ducts are wrapped in insulation (choose the highest R rating you can possibly afford) and then installation joints are taped. Following thsese steps will give you a system that will far outlast your lifetime. Flex duct will give you nothing but restricted air flow, critters, lost $$$$ a lot of headaches.

Reply to
Divine Design

replying to Longtime Lurker, Divine Design wrote: Of course all you see is miles of flex, most builders, ac contractors are charging just as much for flex as they did for rigid duct work but they don?t pay as much to have the flex installed as it is much faster to install flex therefore they pocket more profit by installing flex. Follow the money. It?s not about a quality installation, it?s about greed. Even Custom homes are cheap garbage unless as you are doing, the home owner does due diligence and demands and is willing to intelligently pay up front for quality and sit back and actually love living in a quality custom home. I hope you spend many years in what sounds like will be a beautiful, comfortable home. Go with rigid well insulated duct, with NO flex allowed. My goodness whatever did they do before flex came along!!

Reply to
Divine Design

replying to geothermaljones, Divine Design wrote: I?m actually in the middle of designing my own home and when I get the basic floor plan done I would love your input and recommendations! You are a man who sounds like he knows what he is talking about. I have no information about these units but they sound like something I want to and need to know about! Thank you for the information. I hope he listens to you. I am!

Reply to
Divine Design