Hot water baseboards and central air

I am renovating a bank building built in 1923. I'd like to put in central air but also wanted to put in old baseboards reclaimed from another commercial building. I like the heat retention of a hot water system, and as the building is relatively small (1100sq ft) opening a door wide can empty the single large open space of its warm air in no time at all. I had hoped to get a furnace to run the the central air, and as a back-up for heat at times, in case the boiler went out. I have a working boiler that can supply the baseboards. I wanted to run the central air in summer, and the boiler system in winter. One contractor said the I should use one system or the other, but that to use both they would fight each other. He thought it best to run the ductwork through the floor, but the air would come out right by the baseboards. He said the circulating air would be cooler than the baseboards,and cause a conflict between the systems.

Instead, he suggested using an hot water coil air handler, or just forgetting about the baseboard idea. i already had all the copper lines installed fort he baseboaerd system. My questions, as I have no experience with any of this: I'd like a furnace, because I like the idea of a back-up system, more technicians are familiar with them, and parts are more available. I like the idea of the basebaords. Does anyone have any opinions on this, or experience with the reliability of using an air handler combined with hot water baseboards?

Reply to
joansliker

I think the "one contractor" is either lazy or not well versed in heating and cooling. They only way they will "fight each other" is if you use them both at the same time. If you have that kind of cash to operate both systems at the same time then you have more cash than brains. :-) What you are proposing is quite do-able. Maybe a bit overkill but you are the one paying for it. A lot of times its hard to get the heating water pipes and the ductwork coordinated because of unavailable room or access. The sky is the limit. Im sure you will find another willing contractor that will gladly take your money. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba