heat pump compressor failure -related questions

I have a 2 ton rated rheem ruud heat pump ac for my upstairts. Originally this unit was installed in '85. 11 seer I think. It lasted until 1999 which I thought was reasonable.

I replaced the whole outdoor condenser unit then.

Now the compressor seems to be fried again. Coil to ground short only 8 years later.

First question is that it seems a bit to short of a time to fail. Just out of warranty of course. what do you ya'll think? I think they did it right on the repair, purged the system and installed 2 new dryers one going in and one going out.

Problem is now they are telling me that due to newer seer ratings with higher freon volumes in the condenser outside it is necessary to replace the indoor air handler evaporator as well. I'm not sure I buy this but I wouldn't be surprised that due to some increased efficiency attempts by mfgs that quality and reliability has suffered so maybe they are more peaky tweaky, faily, now.

I am kinda getting burned out on heat pumps (pun intended), tired of it now. So the other alternative is just to go back with a plain ac unit no reversing around. Unfortunately, they are implying the same problems about matching and saying that now the older 2 ton indoor unit must be matched to a 1.5 ton outdoor unit.

Any relevant URLs you can suggest that might save a lot of googling for me? I suppose I know just enough about hvac to be dangerous. But I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing and not falling for a pitch.

tks Don

Reply to
m240zz

Umm, here's a thought. Get a second and third opinion/quote. The new outdoor units need to be matched to the indoor coil/air handler. You need to make sure whatever you get installed, get it evacuated properly with the use of a micron gauge. Next time, get a 10 year parts AND LABOR warranty. That 8 yr old compressor wouldnt have costed you a dime. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Stuff happens

like I said... stuff happens

Its not *just* the efficiency ratings, but also the refrigerant change-over... the old R-22 is for all practical purposes gone. The new refrigerant is R-410a. There are several different trade names for it....Puron, Prozone, etc..

In light of the current minimum energy usage standards, and the high cost of energy these days, I would recommend a high efficiency heat pump system. If you desire to stay with the Rheem/RUUD brands, I would suggest the following... RPNL-024JEZ heat pump RHLL-HM2417JA air handler. ARI reference number 823374 Be sure to get the 10 year parts and labor extended warranty with the new system.

Reply to
Noon-Air