Generator power to gas furnace???

Where exactly do you find that exception in NEC ? Or SBC ? Or any other code or ordinance or insurance policy ?

Other than pulling it out of your ass, that is.

Reply to
.p.jm.

He got it from the same place the privateers^h^h private contractors working on the electrical plumbing for the showers in Iraq found theirs. (A dozen, or possibly more by now, US troops died discovering that water and electricity don't mix very well. Seriously [a]).

Eyup.

[a]
danny burstein

The only legitimate way to handle the problem is to install a switched wall receptical for the furnace in the closet, and put a pigtail with plug on the furnace, then plug it into the receptical.

if you need to run the furnace on an emergency basis, unplug it from the wall and plug it into an extention cord from the generator.

Keep in mind that the electronics in new furnaces MUST HAVE CLEAN POWER and will shut down the furnace if there is a problem.

Reply to
Steve

Gentlemen there are many ways in emergency that power can be found and in emergency code does not apply and I say it again in "emergency" code does not apply. Temporary work can be jury rig in any style as long it is safe. A permanent fixture that is different story, you most follow code for two reason city/town code and insurance most important insurance something goes wrong you are not up to code you loose.

Reply to
Grumpy

This is EXACTLY where I started. I've talked to many people about this. There's only ONE person who thought this was OK, my local city electrical inspector. You can see why I'm still confused. Do I trust the guy who's gonna inspect the work? Or do I trust nameless, faceless, "experts" on the sea of misinformation that is the world wide web?

Reply to
mike

This is what is acceptable to my local inspectors, and is done on a routine basis.

Reply to
Steve

And all furnaces that use a microamp flame sense system must have the neutral bonded to the ground, so if your gen has a floating neutral the burners will not stay lit. This also means that power inverters that have the ground tied to the negative of the HV DC bus (before the output power mosfets) likely won't work either.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

Sure, and you can hook up the gas to the furnace using a garden hose to the meter like the carpenter hacks do around here, but that doesn't make it right.

You are absolutly right! but I say it again in "EMERGENCY"

Reply to
Grumpy

You are right but show me code that covers "EMERGENCY"

Reply to
Grumpy

Exactly why did you ask here then ?

And in your neck of the woods, you're allowed to marry your first cousin, too ;-)

Reply to
.p.jm.

How's about I show you insurance policies that DON'T ?

Reply to
.p.jm.

NEC ref 422.16(A)...and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection.

are the furnaces you install identified by the manufacturer for cord and plug wiring ? If so, it's allowed. If not - then it's not.

( note - I find the ref in different paragraphs of 422 than the above in my old copy )

also see 400-7 (a) Uses Permitted ( for flexible cords and cables )

Reply to
.p.jm.

aslo see

~ 1/2 way down 'MDShunk'

.p.jm.

tnom

Wrong state...... that would be Arkansas and the Carolinas.

Reply to
Steve

Here (Mississippi) we look at it as a service disconnect like the disconnect for a condenser or heat pump.

Reply to
Steve

How very creative of you :-)

Reply to
.p.jm.

Sure, and you can hook up the gas to the furnace using a garden hose to the meter like the carpenter hacks do around here, but that doesn't make it right.

Lets not start mixing Coconuts' and grapes will know that is not same fruit.

Reply to
Grumpy

Hi jmelson I did what you said and the furnace started when I hooked the generator but it stopped after less than a minute. It did not fire because the ignitor did not heat to inginite the gas. Do you know what I did wrong?

AndrewG

Reply to
AndrewG

Does your furnace use a spark ignitor or a glow plate? I don't have first hand experience with them, but on a comparable gas stove/oven, the burners on top are sparkers and light up ok with backup power [a]. However, the oven uses a glow plate which usese....

sit down...

which uses... 400 watts.

That's a big enough number that small generators might hiccup.

[a] and if you don't have backup electricity, you can light the stove burners with a match. But the oven needs that glow plate heating up - and drawing 400 watts - _all_ the time the oven is working.
Reply to
danny burstein