"Filter/dryer" in automobile A/C system.

Because of a close encounter with a deer, our Saturn ION is in the body shop.

They called my wife and told her that they will be replacing the condenser because the fins were damaged. I am concerned because they aren't going to replace the filter/dryer.

I called and all I got was: 1) they aren't going to replace the filter/dryer; 2) they WILL "open up the system" to replace the condenser; 3) they will "pump down" the system; and 4) "they do it all the time."

Replacing the condenser seems to be part of the repair job but replacing the filter/dryer is "servicing!"

Should I be concerned?

From my view, it would be better to "purge" the system and replace the filter/dryer than simply to "pump down" the system.

Any opinions here?

Reply to
John Gilmer

Hi, Wouldn't the cost of repair more than the value of the car?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

because the fins were damaged. I am

filter/dryer; 2) they WILL "open up the system" to

it all the time."

filter/dryer is "servicing!"

filter/dryer than simply to "pump down" the

John: there is no clear picture in your situation? If your car system (ac) did not loose refrigerant and system is still under pressure it is not needed to replace dryer however? if system lost it's charge (refrigerant) then is should be replace you should demand on it, and properly evacuated if drier is changed or not!

Reply to
Grumpy

Because it was an "act of God" it's covered under comprehensive. I would be quite happy for the insurance to buy the car but they opted to fix it.

Reply to
John Gilmer

*ANY TIME* you open up a refrigeration system, you replace the filter/drier and pull a proper vacuum before introducing the new refrigerant charge.

If you're just a low rent hack, disregard the above, because your not going to do it anyway.

Reply to
Steve

and pull a proper vacuum before

do it anyway.

Steve I am sure that you most to hear of old cliché don't judge book by its cover.

Now let me gave you little story in early 70s I used the car for field work and I was in

Accident where I was told by body shop it will coast me $1500.00 repair to start with,

it could run much more. At time I was in position where I did not have that much cash

available to pay for repair, So I decided to do the work myself, car was 1969 Olds.98

two door with 455 in it . Anyway I replace practically all sheet metal on front of vehicle,

the condenser was mashed in and radiator needless to say it was a mess. I had to remove

condenser to striating it up plus do other work, it was necessary to cut tubing?s gas in and

liquid out. I took condenser and position it on flat level surface to striating it up I use 6x6

good piece of hard wood putting it on top of condenser and use of 5 lb. silage Hammer to

starting it up ?it work?, now was problem what to do with aluminum tubing which at that

time soldering or brazing was out of question? I had it swage and epoxy tubing connections

Pressure tested to 300 PSI evacuate charge it with clean gas R-12 added couple ounces?

of oil used the car for next 3 years I used vehicle for total of 5 years and sold it with 210K

miles with no problems AC was still working like new and no drier was never replace.

The objective is if you take precaution and do good job, putting new drier not necessarily

mean that you did good job! By the way I fix the car for $450.00 and painted it my self

could not tell difference from body shop work or hack like myself!!!

Reply to
Grumpy

yup, just like the 'moaners who come in here and want us to diagnose it, and tell them how to fix it for free. you were just lucky.

Reply to
Steve

It wasnt an act of God. God sure gets dumped on for the silliest things. God didnt send the Deer over to you . It was an ACT OF NATURE , not Gods doing. Onto your issue...yes, the filter drier should be replaced to do the job RIGHT . Once the a/c system is opened up to replace the condensor, air and moisture will get into the filter drier and reduce its capacity and effectiveness . INSIST it be done right . Pay for a new filter drier if you have to, but, get a new one put on . In fact, I woldnt take it to that Repair Shop...take it somewhere else because they arent professional enough. Regards.

Reply to
ilbebauck

P.S. And....it should be purged and evacuated in addition to a new filter drier. Thats the correct way to do it so the system works flawlessly for a long time to come. Purging the system takes a whole

30 seconds , if that...and evacuating the system should be done for at least one hour using a high capacity Vaccuum Pump of 3 cfm in an ambient temp. of 90 f. If its less than 90 f., then evacuate longer. Longer the better...you cant 'over evacuate' .
Reply to
ilbebauck

I actually did that once. Food poisoning.

Reply to
.p.jm.

Sweet ! Will there be free T-shirts and shit ?

Reply to
.p.jm.