A question about gas/liquid valves

Locked Rotor Amps, what a motor draws while stalled IE the rotor/armature isn't turning. The LRA spike as the comp starts could fry your LED over time. I would limit the max voltage with a big zener diode.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

The linesets and evap coils are not pre-charged, and do require a vacuum be pulled.

Reply to
Steve

Oh.. got it.

I see a spike of >`100 volts on the current transformer

The compressor is a DC, variable frequency, three phase drive. The input caps charge the moment power is applied, so for a millisecond or two I see a high voltage on the current transformer, after that .... it's pretty much long cyclical up and down until the compressor stops entirely.

Then... it seems to wait for the ambient to climb to 2 degrees F to turn on again. Damn Europeans - 2 degrees is a lot, this is a Celsius device reading in Fahrenheit. Set points are 2 degrees F apart.

In industry we would only say "VFD (drive)" - they were all single phase or 3 phase input to charge the DC capacitor bank to output 3 phase to the motors.

Locked rotor? That's old DC motors isn't it? Procter and Gamble in

1980, used those, up to 200 hp. Control panels were filled with op amps and took for days to get them all calibrated.
Reply to
default

Actually, the good ones are variable frequency, inverter drive... even the compressor is variable speed. They are not all the same as you suggest..... well maybe most of the cheap 13SEER ones are.... but the good ones are definately not.

Reply to
Steve

Tesla got you beat all hollow in the 'weird' department :-)

But I worry some that seeing little birdies nesting makes you want to build a device that generates large high-voltage sparks .... Have you ever heard of a more modern device called a 'barbeque' ?

Reply to
.p.jm.

Locked Rotor Amperage.

~ 5x RLA ( Running Load Amps )

Reply to
.p.jm.

Should have used an accelerometer. Even a locked or semi-shorted compressor pulls current.

Wow.. Have you invented low fuel warning lights yet? ;-p

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

Lousy rotten Alcohol

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

Use Paul... He could use the exercise.

I'd like to use a pro I could trust, but

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

He could have used his tire gauges. ;-p Only takes 3 in parallel for 410A

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

Please do not interfere with Genius at work! ;-p

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

Ain't no such thang.

Except the non-drinkable kind.

Reply to
.p.jm.

Homey don't play no field work no mo. Ain't on money in it.

Reply to
.p.jm.

I buy the parts off the shelf to do the same thing cheaper than I can build it myself but your way is defiantly more fun though it takes longer. If you're doing a project for a customer, you don't have to design and build all the basic functions, just put the building blocks together. I adore these guys for their ready made versatile solutions:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Ats wot I mean. They put that red dye shit in it here.

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

This one is 17 SEER and is DC inverter Variable frequency. Why they choose to phrase it that way, I can't say.

These things are already quite common in industry. I've specified and installed several VFD's. Best price I found was $60 for a 5-7.5 hp three phase.

Almost everything is on one chip with some big honker mosfets to switch power to the motor.

My compressor current behaves like I'd expect. Current jumps up when I select a cooler temp and from a dead stop creeps up a little over time (I guess the back pressure on the compressor is increasing as it runs from being turned off for a time?)

My condenser fan seems to have three distinct speeds (I could be wrong about that) The indoor blower is limited to three speeds - and more noisy, and more active, than I'd like. It allows me to set the fan speed, but will over ride my setting if the set point is much lower than ambient.

It has a "humidity" setting too. That seems to just keep it at ~72 degrees, no matter what the set point is. "Auto" is virtually useless to me, that heats or cools to hold a set point with 2 degrees of hysteresis (or dead zone).

It has something called "follow me" that is supposed to keep the temperature setting on the remote - where ever the remote happens to be - must be a good trick since this is a IR remote.

Reply to
default

As the system comes into full operating balance over the first maybe 30 seconds, and establishes a 'full liquid head' to the meter, the amount of heat being picked up will increase, the volume of working fluid will increase, the volume of the return gas will increase, thus compression ratio will increase, IOW head pressure will increase, and work is increased. Thus, a small change in amps.

The dehumidify setting will run the fan at low, thus modulating the SHR towards latent ( yeh, I LOVE sending you EE's to WIKI to try to figure out WTF I'm talking about :-) ).

It's actually GPS device monitored by the DHS.

Reply to
.p.jm.

Look, Congressman, that will be quite enough of that .....

Reply to
.p.jm.