60 hertz AC condensers operating at 50 hertz

I am planning to ship several high efficiency ac condensers to Asia. The units that I am planning to ship are not produced in in that area. The problem is that they are 208-230V/60/1phase. Of course the electrical specs in Asia are 208-230V/50/1phase. I have spoken to several electricians here in the US and have heard several different opinions. The general concensus is that if I lower the the voltage using a "bust and boost" transformer to around 200V, the system will operate at lower cycles and thus lower my capacity. But is there any risk to damaging the compressor? Does anyone know the actual impact that operating these compressors at 50 hertz will have? Please help.

Reply to
comfortusa

Your question is beyond stupid.

...Sniff...sniff...

HMM--I smell TROOL.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Check the equipment manufacturer specs... if that doesn't satisfy your needs, then call the compressor manufactures tech rep.

Reply to
Noon-Air

First off... I'd agree with others here that say "Talk to the motor manufacturers."

I've never seen a single phase 60 hz. motor operate successfully at 50 hz. There are good reasons why that I won't get into here.

However, just for reference... three phase motors will generally do OK at 50 hz. Motor quality and temperature ratings, as well as performance curves, vary quite a lot from one brand/model to another.

That all being said... here's the 'general' guidelines of what will occur when you supply a 3 phase 60 hz. rated motor of any type at 50 hz. instead.

  1. Supply voltage should be 5/6 of the 60 hz. rated.. in this case (at
230 v... that would be ~191 volts and no higher).
  1. Speed will be about 5/6 of rated. That COULD be a problem.. depending on the application. Efficiency will not be reduced (probably) but capacity certainly will be lower. Motor 'slip' will be considerably less... and if the manufacturer allowed for that... OK. If not... you might be in trouble.
  2. Torque will be approximately the same. All performance curves (like locked-rotor and breakdown torque will also be similar). Locked rotor current will be approximately 5 percent less.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

============================================================ Typical reply in this newsgroup----and he can't spell correctly either. ======================================================== Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Reply to
Ron in NY

I did not read all the replies you got but some guys are correct condenser fans you must reduce voltage by 10% the compressors are usually rated and made that will operate at 60 & 50 cycles perhaps at some reduced efficiency, the OEMs should be able to gave you that info. Tony

Tony

To the OP, suggest google.

To Ron, go f*ck yourself.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

Why????? When you've got excellent product produced in the region made for the job. Anyway - in all likelihood you'd only be shipping it back somewhere near where the components were made anyway! I believe Bitzer have a substantial manufacturing presence in Asia as does Carrier/Temperzone, etc. Perhaps you should stick to exporting coolrooms to Alaska.

Reply to
New Directions In Building Ser

============================================================ FUCK YOU, or for those that can't spel FOOCK YOU. ======================================================== Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Reply to
Ron in NY

It looks to me that some of you guys still can not apprehend

50/60 cycle operating motors. I have posted on 5/27 what you need to do , again 60 cycle motor to run on 50 cycle service you must reduce voltage by 10% otherwise motor will overheat and shut down or burn out, I have done this three years in row for Mfg. in Italy I am tell this from experience, compressors is no problem at least with semihermatics Copland on others I can not say I don't know. Tony

Tony

Since you're an expert and everyone else is a dip. Then you would know thats not necessary unless you have the wrong compressor spec'ed from Copeland.

Bill

The man said it's single phase, Chief. That WILL NOT WORK at 50 Hz. without one heck of a lot more changes than just voltage.

Do I need to explain to you why that is?

Jake

Reply to
Jake