What is the general price for a new forced air furnace for 1,500 home?

It is a cape with a full basement.

Reply to
Anonymous

The average low end Installed price for a gas furnace 90 % eff. is $4,000.00

Reply to
stanhvac1

Use caution here. The guys with fancy trucks and big advertising budgets came to repair my furnace and failed.  They made 3 trips and messed it up BAD, then suggested a new furnace for $5-6000. I sent them away, then found a credible guy on Craigslist who installed a quality new furnace for $1500,  I gave him a big hug/kiss.  This was 100,000 BTU for 1000 sq ft.

Reply to
amanonisang

Wow, that's a whole lot of furnace for a 1000 sq ft home. You must live at the North Pole or either that is a extreamely low eff. unit someone wanted to get rid of.

Reply to
stanhvac1

The 1000 sq ft house is 1920 all  brick - no insulation, single pane windows, etc

Reply to
amanonisang

First, I am not one of those guys with the fancy trucks and big advertising budgets, and yes after 3 trips and still can't fix a furnace, it is time to call someone else. I don't know if you are using gas or oil to heat, but normally it would take in an older house in cold zone 5  approx. 45 BTUH/sq.ft to heat, so 45,000 BTUH for 1000 sq. ft. Based on that, you are paying the utility company approx. 55% to 60% of you bill to heat the air outside your house. Do the Math. Sounds like you need to invest the excess $$$$ in repairing the cause of your problem rather than fixing the problem. At min. I would hope that he installed a 95% eff. furnace for you, however I don't think so based on the price you stated. Anyway, this is far off the subject that the orig. poster asked, so good luck, cheers and rembember to smile when you pay your utility bill!

Reply to
stanhvac1

You've gotta research contractors before you trust them. Also, do your homework on equipment too. Consumer Reports released a study last year (2012) that showed the reliability of furnaces they reviewed. I think Bryant (Carrier) and Trane took the top spots. Another place to check for dealers is Find an HVAC Dealer. Just google "hvac dealer locator" and you'll find the site. Shows their credentials.

Reply to
kylerboudreau