Is there a support beam missing?

Is there a support beam missing? open original image

I am looking to purchase our first home that was built in 1920. The house itself has been wonderfully maintained and remodeled. My Realtor had pointed out a removal of a wall between the dining area and living room, which gave the room a more open floor plan. Upon looking more carefully, we noticed the beam going across the top of the ceiling dips down a little. My realtor asked the agent if the current owners did the work to see if it was approved by a building inspector. They didn't do the remodeling and have been in the house for 31 years. The beam has not been an issue. We will obviously have an inspector look but for the heck of it, I thought I would post a pic here to see if anyone has experience with this type of issue.

The picture is hard to see, but where the two beams meet is where it dips down a little. [IMG]

Anonymous

Walk away from this house. It's likely not ready to collapse, but it was done as cheaply as possible and looks it (horrible). The, hopefully, beams (the TWO walls that were removed) should be "in" the ceiling and not below it. It may be legal, but legal only means The Minimum.

- The real problem you face is future re-sale. You could live there for 30-years too and have no problem or just slightly more sagging. But, if you don't pay a lot to remedy the problem and it's a BIG problem, then you'll have a very tough time selling and you definitely won't get your price.

Reply to
Anonymous