Subject Author Posted Replies

Question aboutmixture for killing japanese bettles
A guy was telling me to use a mixture of Seven concentrate and Dawn liquid dish soap with water in my sprayer. He said this would take care of the problem if I sprayed every couple of days, and to...
21
21

Question about starting garden
I'm planning on planting a small garden in my back yard. Currently there's lawn with grass growing where I want to plant. When you till the soil, can you just mix in the grass? Or should the grass be...
11
11

I'll get those pesky squirrels .............
I have made mouse traps out of five gallon buckets, and a tin can on a wire stretched over the open end. Wipe peanut butter on the can, and when the mouse steps out on it, it spins and dumps the mouse...
65
65

What is this weed and how do I kill it!!! ;^)
This weed, which we call "The Tumor" (in your best Arnold Schwartzenager voice) is drivng us nuts. It comes on super fast, grows super fast and returns after we pull it out. Its got prickly edges. See...
29
29

ELM tree stump- cannot kill it
Almost 2 years ago, we hired a tree company to cut down a 60 foot high Chinese Elm with 24 inch trunk. Remaining stump is 3 inches high which they filled grooves with chainsaw fuel. They guaranteed...
8
8

Safe Conifer
I wish to plant a single conifer about 6ft from my house. I am aware of the problems with lellandi but I have found a different variety that grows to a maximum of two metres which suits me. Would the...
1
1

question about scabiosa
Dear group, I recently purchased something called scabiosa 'butterfly blue'. I had thought that this is the same as scabiosa columbaria 'butterfly blue' but was told the former is not the same as the...
1
1

Moving a Jacob's ladder and an Amsonia (Blue Star)
Ok - I finally got a Jacob's Ladder to over winter. Guess what, it was under the shade provided by the pine I lost and one of the big branches that came down. So - any hints for moving it. I'm going...

Second take on the raised bed over stump
Well, I fell and fell hard for a weeping birch at local nursery. Over $200 is just out of the budget for now. But I'm starting a coin bank to buy one in a few years. By then, the stumps should be...

Sad story worth repeating concerning Walnut Acres
Used to place a monthly order that I could pick up at a drop off house about 5 miles away. All sorts of foods from small producers. The dates rolled in coconut whew. The stables and the monthly note...
3
3

Insect killing soap spray
I've read about using soapy water to spray on flowers to kill aphids and other bugs. Does anyone have a formula on how much liquid soap to use in a gallon of water to make such a spray, or where I...
12
12

liriope not growing
Some are not getting as much sun as others and are very small. Cud there be any other reason? They were shaded by a small tree, but I have cut that back. BTW, is liriope a type of aztec grass, or is...

Some helpful tips
I am getting into starting my garden it has been hard as the garden before i moved into this was a real mess but it is slowly coming along. I found a great website that has helped me along the way it...

Espellier apple tree
I have a section of wall along my back fence I am thinking of using to espellier an apple tree. The wall is about 2 m high and 3-4 m long. The soil is about 12-18 inchs of loam, well draining good...
1
1

Gloxinia's fertilizing
I have 3 tubers that i repotted a couple of weeks ago as they showed life into new soil. Now, i wonder if i should fertilize them while still showing only leaf? I always thought that when one repots a...