wisteria near house

Hi everyone,

I made a lovely/horrifying discovery this year after living here almost 2 yrs.

I have wisteria growing at the base of an addition on my house. There's already some damage to the corner of the addition.

I tried cutting this thing back before, thinking it was just a weedy vine, but this year it came back....and then it bloomed. Lovely, fragrant pendulous blooms!!

I love it and hate it.

I need to kill it once and for all for the sake of my addition, and need some advice on how.

But also would like some suggestions on taking cuttings/propagating it so I can plant it elsewhere in my garden.

Thanks for any counselling you can pass along...

Sally

Reply to
Sally

The seeds can be rooted, but I'd recommend buying a named variety.

I have a vine too and have a similar love/hate relationship. They are very fast growers and never in the direction I want them to grow in.

My wisteria grows across an open trellis above my patio. The blooms hang down and create a gorgeous, dramatic purple canopy over the patio.

BUT they develop huge seed pods. The pods drip while they are forming seeds. At least the drips aren't sticky. When the seeds are ready the pods explode - sending the seeds and pod out like shrapnel! If you've had heavy blooms in spring you'll be ducking like crazy come fall.

I also have to spend a lot of time keeping the rootstock from sending out more branches. They need constant trimming at the base - and at the top to keep it in line. If I were to plant another one I'd pick a spot where they can be admired from afar!

Reply to
Laura at theGardenPages