Honeysuckle vine or?

I have a long fence far back in my property that I'd like to grow a fast growing vine on.

I'm familiar with sliver lace (the vine from hell) and trumpet vine and I love how fast they grow but was thinking about a honeysuckle because I don't care if it's invasive.....but wanted some reward.....as in fragrance and blooms.

This fence is in full sun to part sun along it's length and beyond other suggestions....I was wondering if there's a particular Honeysuckle I should look for......or just the "Japanese honeysuckle"? Fast and Fragrant is key.

Thank you.

Reply to
EBG

Avoid the Japanese - Lonicera japonica and its cultivars. Very invasive in many parts of the country and not necessarily all that fragrant. Look for a Dutch honeysuckle, Lonicera pericylmenum. Not at all an invasive species and arguably the most fragrant. Grows just as fast, too.

Check out the very recent thread "Honeysuckle Vine"

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

How about sweet autumn clematis? It does grow rapidly and has a wonderful fragrance when it begins blooming late in the summer. It grows in zones 4 -

  1. John

Reply to
B & J

I have honeysuckle in my backyard. It's the one that blooms white and then turns yellow (or vice versa - I forget which). It's just now starting to flower.

I like it and it is very fragrant when it blooms. It even blocks out the smell of the doggie doo! My only complaint is that the bloom period doesn't last very long -- only a few weeks.

If I were going to choose something today I'd try to find a vine that flowers most of the summer, if such a vine exists.

Just my 2 cents!

I'm in central Texas.

Reply to
Suzie-Q

The japanes one is bad news. Don't know where you live, but if in this part of the US, here's a nice one.

EBG wrote:

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

I strongly recommend Lonicera sempervirens or it's cultivars. Very beautiful, but a tad weak on fragrance. A NATIVE species from the southern US.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

Not one of those made-in-taiwan species that fall apart after a few seasons.... zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

Exactly. And besides, Taiwanese honeysuckles are always worried about invasion of the Chinese Loniceras.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

Reply to
Judith Truly

Try mixing with a later flowering vine like clematis and jasmine. I'd recomment chocolate vine (Akebia quinata) but it can also be invasive.

Reply to
Pen