advice about a wisteria

i moved into this bungalow 17 yrs ago it had a wisteria growing up

the front of it. Every year it has grown its leaves then produced flowers

this year it only produced a few flowers first which soon died and then it

produced a few leaves which soon died as well . My neighbour used to have

a high conifer hedge that used to give it shelter but he has had this cut down

I have no experiance in gardening at all so could some one tell me what

problem they think it could be Also this afternoon i went to check on my gooseberry bush and a swarm of wasps flew out with what looked like a giant wasp then they all flew back in again

is there anything i can do about that problem Thankyou

Reply to
poppyrae

You don't give much to go on. Was winter particularly wet or dry? What is the soil like now where it is growing? Does the stem of the wisteria seem solid and healthy? Are there any new shoots emerging now? Did the cutting of this hedge change either the light or drainage of the wisteria, if so how?

I really don't know what to say to that question. Don't go near the gooseberry bush or spray the wasps would seem to be the choices, fly spray will do it but take care.

Don't do what my father once did. We had a huge paper-wasp nest hanging under the eaves of the house and he decided to burn them out with a lighted rolled-up newspaper. He was stung several times and nearly burned down the house.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Thank you for your reply and not being very good on a computer i hope you get this reply

Rearly apart from my neighbour removing his hedge there has not been a lot of difference in the weather Except that now the wisteria is more exposed to the wind THe wisteria is the same height as the bungalow and has only produced 3 very small leaves and they are a yellow the flowers died as soon as they appeared The main stem on the tree seems healthy but there is a lot of dead branches entwined all the way up and a couple of birds nests at the top I have managed to have a close look at one of the leaves and can see no insects on it but the leaf is so small and delicate

as for the gooseberry bush i think i shall have to leave it alone as i could try thefly spray but being 65 i cannot run very fast There was a down pour of rain last night and i was hoping this might make them go and find a dryer place Thanks once again for your reply QUOTE='David Hare-Scott[_2_];849885']poppyrae wrote:-

[...]

did he treat the stumps with something chemical?

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 19:02:20 +0100, poppyrae wrote: My neighbour used to>have >a high conifer hedge that used to give it shelter but he has had this>cut down Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo

"poppyrae" wrote

If it's to thrive and florish wisteria needs to be severely pruned back each year, obviously you're guilty of total neglect.

brooklyn1

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

http://www.f>

I just knew you would glom onto that... proof you're abjectly lazy and functionally illiterate... if you put down the beer and bong long enough to check a dictionary you may learn that "can" doesn't mean "will" --- functionally illiterate because you can't comprehend the obverse *irony* the author injected by that one statement with respect to the entire article on pruning. Just in case you don't get it, ignorance is bliss. Be happy.

Reply to
brooklyn1

showing every year with absolutely no care. It was planted by previous owners and was still going strong when my family moved away. Some was growing on a chain link fence in full sun and some grew in a stand of trees on the opposite side of the yard. Last time I drove past the place, most of the trees were gone.

Reply to
Mycosimian

http://www.f>>

Plonk