Will this tree survive?

I purchased my mother a laceleaf Japanese Maple when her father passed away two years ago.

Yesterday some idiots who were cutting down trees let a branch fall on the maple and broke it. For some reason then they cut off the tree at the base - leaving about 2 inches above ground.

Will it grow back?

Reply to
Todd

Maybe. You should make the "idiots" pay.

Reply to
Travis

I believe that laceleaf Japanese maples are almost always grafted onto more ordinary Japanese maple rootstock, so even if something did come back, it probably wouldn't be a laceleaf variety.

Reply to
DrLith

Make them replace it. The new growth, if any, will be weak and poorly attached. It will be a poor substitute for what you lost.

Treedweller

] On 3 Oct 2005 18:05:03 -0700, "Todd" wrote: ] ] >I purchased my mother a laceleaf Japanese Maple when her father passed ] >away two years ago. ] >

] >Yesterday some idiots who were cutting down trees let a branch fall on ] >the maple and broke it. For some reason then they cut off the tree at ] >the base - leaving about 2 inches above ground. ] >

] >Will it grow back? ] Make them replace it. The new growth, if any, will be weak and poorly ] attached. It will be a poor substitute for what you lost. ]

Further, make sure they replace it with the same cultivar and the same size as the plant they destroyed. My opinion also is that what they've left has very little chance. What a shame.

-E

Reply to
Emery Davis

"Treedweller" wrote

Oh definitely make them replace it. That was destruction of property, and wanton at that. Once they find out what that little lapse of competence costs them they may begin to watch what they are doing.

-- Toni South Florida USA Zone 10b

Toni