Why up potting?

When repotting plants in containers, one is only supposed to go up a size, and not make a big jump in size. Why? Reading about hostas in containers, I find that a big jump in size will kill the plant. When planted in the ground you are planting it in a huge container.

What I learned is the most important thing to get a container hosta to winter over outside in the north is to keep rain off it when the soil is frozen.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

When repotting a plant, I use a paring knife or pruning saw -- depending on the size and strength of the roots -- and shave away part of the root ball, both the sides and bottom. I might also cut slits about an inch deep into the root ball from top to bottom in 3 or 4 places around. With new potting mix -- my own home-made mix -- to replace what I removed, I then repot into the old pot.

I recently did a Washingtonian palm and a Dracaena that way. About two months ago, a did a sweet bay. They are all thriving, the Dracaena indoors and the other two outdoors.

Reply to
David E. Ross

It's just an old wive's tale. Putting small plants into much larger containers is the very definition of patio gardening.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan