What is this fruit(?) found last week under these plants found in a Southern CA(lifornia) rural home area?

Are they safe to eat?

Thank you in advance. :)

Reply to
Ant

replying to Ant, Iggy wrote: Chayote. I've never had it, but the flavor's supposed to be along the lines of a weak pear. Its actually a vegetable and not a fruit, as it grows on a vine and is part of the squash family.

Reply to
Iggy

Give us a hint - is it 1 inch or 1 foot ? or perhaps something in between ... geeesh. John T.

Reply to
hubops

"Due to its purported cell-regenerative properties, it is believed as a contemporary legend that this fruit caused the mummification of people from the Colombian town of San Bernardo who extensively consumed it. The very well preserved skin and flesh can be seen in the mummies today" John T.

Reply to
hubops

According to

's comment, Araujia Sericifera's fruits is toxic.

Reply to
Ant

I'd say about 1.5".

Reply to
Ant

The link as presented by Thunderbird is 404. I even tried removing the "'s", but that did not help. Then I tried removing more: "/'s". That worked. In the future, please comply with RFC 3986 (Appendix C) by bracketing URIs in text (as I do in my signature below for the URI to my Web site).

Reply to
David E. Ross

Whatever it is I do not think it is a choco, (Chayote) In Australia we used to eat tons of them,and make jam with them and they look nothing like your picture.

Reply to
FMurtz