Weeding the flowerbeds and tree wells

Hello, I am new to yard work. I have weeds and alovera plants growing out of the flowerbeds. I want to get rid of the alovera and weeds. How do you normally get rid of these? I've seen people just pour mulch over their tree wells to cover up the weeds. Also, how do i get rid of the alovera plant out of my flowerbed. I tried using my electrical weed trimmer, but the sticky stuff from the plant splattered on me. Basically, my flowerbeds have antbeds, weeds, and alovera(which i don't want in it). Any site or suggestions on doing this? I am a recent first time homeowner, so this is all new to me. I live in Southeast Texas. Thanks.

Reply to
luvtopost

If you're new to this, you need to get yourself the two most important tools for a garden: A spade and a pitchfork. The fork has lots of purposes, but for your situation, you'd use it to get deep underneath weeds and loosen them by wiggling the fork left to right and back & forth (but NEVER using it as a prybar for rocks, or really thick roots). Once you've loosened things, you get down on your knees and pull them out by hand. It's best to do this "major" work by hand, with your face right in it, so you can spot things that might want to return later.

The spade is good for slicing through the roots of grass & weeds which try to creep horizontally from the lawn into your flower beds. You just slice straight down where the two zones meet. Get a fine, flat file from the hardware store, and touch up the edge of the spade when it seems dull.

There are some "light work" tools you can use for easy weeds. Most of these are variations on the same theme: A knife which moves horizontally, an inch or more under the soil, and slices the weeds off at the roots. The weeds can then be left to wither, or be raked up.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The aloe vera plants have many medicinal uses. I keep a pot on my kitchen window sill, as well as plants in the garden. They are so tough you can hardly kill them with neglect.

Use for burns, scratches, cuts, infections, general skin care, etc..

Amazing how people spend $$$ at the drugstore for bottled aloe vera because of its healing powers instead of using the original plant.

Why not dig up a few of your plants, pot them, and experience their wonderful qualities.

HTH

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

For weeds with roots up to a foot long, the weed twister from Ergonica works great. You can browse through dozens of weed pullers from the World of Weeds at

Replanting the aloe vera is a good suggestion.

Have fun!

Reply to
raycruzer