Newbie Large Weed Bed to Be Covered with Mulch...

All:

I am a novice when it comes to gardening and landscaping....

I have fairly large patch of dirt and weeds in front of my house -- about 40 x 6' (240 sq. feet). I've ordered some mulch and will be spreading it soon...

So... how do I best get the ground ready to accept the mulch (I don't want to be pulling weed out of the mulch for the rest of my natural life, so I assume I need to rid myself of them in some permanent way)?

My thoughts:

  • I can pull all the weeds (would take many many hours)
  • I can use a chemical to kill them (I'd prefer not too, though - I'd like to plant some trees, etc. soon and do not want to poison the ground)

  • I can...what else...? Neither of the above seem particularly effective ---

Is this a time when you rototill the soil to "rip up" all the weed and their root systems?

Any help appreciated...

Thanks, John jpuopolo

Reply to
john

[...]

I'd try to pull the big stuff and weed whack the rest. Cover with cardboard (flattened boxes) and apply mulch at least 3" thick. Or weed whack everything, if short on time. There will be some maintenance but not much.

- Bill

Bill Rose

Permanent weed preventative? You're dreaming. They always come back. Gardening is a process, not a one time chore.

Reply to
Buderschnookie

Slow to decay mulch is meant for prevention of growth, not elimination of established growth you're speaking of.

Weeds are seeding now. At least in my neck of the woods. Plowing that under assures its return.

Since you chose to use google instead of usenet server, I have no idea where you are. So, an appropriate solution is not forthcoming. Dave

Reply to
Dave