Unknown bulb / plant identification

First post! Hello everybody!

Since buying a new house in October, I'm currently working through the overgrown / uncared for garden discovering all sorts.

However, I've been unable to identify this one, which has shot up over the past month...

[image:
believe it's grown up from a bulb / tuber, but not entirely sure. Currently (in photo) about 25cms but growing reasonably quickly. Is planted within a raised herb border including rosemary, sage (i think), thyme, lavender, so perhaps it's complimentary to these (albeit this is obviously not a shrub)?

Any help to identify would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation!

Best regards,

Tom

Reply to
le_plop

"le_plop" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:le snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk...

Hello, this could be horse-radish.

Willi

Reply to
Willi

I don't think so, horseraddish has broader leaves and a less erect habit. Sorry I don't know what it is though.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

It could indeed, I think Willi's right. If you can determine for sure it is horseradish, consider moving it somewhere else if you want to keep it - ideally, plant it in a 5-gallon bucket. Horseradish is very invasive (it's almost impossible to harvest without a few small side roots being left behind), and it will eventually take over the whole herb bed.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

It certainly doesn't look anything like my horseradish. And I too have no idea other than it doesn't look like any horseradish I've ever seen.

Reply to
FarmI

My horseradish has leaves like those at the moment. By the summer they'll be bigger and broader like sorrel.

Reply to
ssimtee

I thought about your post overnight. It isn't the culinary horseradish but it might be salsify (aka 'oyster plant') - that has the habit of that sort of growth.

Reply to
FarmI

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the suggestions.

@Tony - the garden / herb border has been left unattended for many years, i believe, and there still only appears to be one or two of these plants that have shot up... would that lead you to think it may NOT be horseradish, or is it possible it's just not a fast propogating variety?

Cheers,

Tom

Reply to
le_plop

If left unattended for many years, then it most likely is something else, yes. But I *did* say: "Could be". :>D

Tony

Reply to
Tony

You can tell for sure by the smell of a broken root.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

It'd have more to do with the type of conditions in that spot. I have some horseradish in one spot that is hard, hungry and as dry as a dead dingo's boys bits and each year I only get one or two small bits coming up. In a more fertile moist place it'd almost be classed as a feral plant.

Reply to
FarmI