trees with no leaves = dead?

I have 2 Tupelos I got this year from a shade tree program. 1 is bigger than the other. The smaller one had all of its leaves fall off a few weeks ago, while the other one (bigger) still has most of its leaves, although a bit less green.

Is the smaller one dead if it sheds all of its leaves?

Reply to
Ablang

You don't indicate where you live, but if it is anywhere in the norhern hemisphere, a tupelo shedding its leaves now is perfectly normal. I'd be more concerned about the one that is still retaining foliage.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Scratch the bark if you can with a finger nail and if it's green, it is alive. I live in Texas and still have to be aware of drought in winter. We've had very little rain this year. I believe we've had 20 inches all year. Trees and shrubs can survive, but I'd prefer they thrive. Making sure you deeply water newly planted trees for the first few years is imperative. I continue to water mine about ten feet in and out of the drip line on mature specimen trees. On smaller trees I planted within the last several years, I water at the drip line very slowly, all year. If your region freezes (the soil I'm talking about) I would recommend a very deep watering a week or so before the first expected frost date, and if it warms up again, another deep watering before winter...if you live in a drought condition as I do.

Reply to
animaux

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy