trees or shrubs to make fence

Live in NW Ohio, zone 5 and trying to decide between regular wood fencing or live shrubs as a fence. Would like them to be approx 6' high or higher when mature, fast growing and have the ability to block out a view. It will be a fence to provide privacy for a new patio area. I prefer the idea of shrubs/trees but of course don't want to wait 10 years for this. Has anyone done such a project? Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thank you! Diane

Reply to
DK

You didn't mention the sun exposure these plants will have.

Might try Juniperus chinensis 'Pfitzeriana' - Height 5 to 6 ft, Width 8 to 10 ft may be a problem depending on the size of your yard. Moderately rapid growth rate. Sun only.

Also, Juniperus chinensis 'Sea Green' - Ht 4 to 6 ft, Wd 4 to 5' with moderate growth rate. Sun only.

Or, Ilex crenata 'Hetzii' - Ht 5 to 6', Wd 6 to 8', and moderate to rapid growth rate. Sun or shade.

Or, Ilex crenata 'Convexa' - Ht 5 to 6', Wd 5 to 6', and growth rate. Sun or shade.

All suitable for Zone 5.

Reply to
Ed

My Pfitzer Junipers are now 25' tall and 20' wide. Impenetrable, solid hedge. Only suitable for a large landscape.

Reply to
Walter R.