To prune or not?

I live in Upstate NY...over the summer I planted a weeping cherry tree and 2 sand cherry bushes(shrubs). My question is, should I trim the sandcherrys now( they have some shoots that have grown to about 4ft tall) or should I give them the winter and trim in the spring so that the root system has had a chance to take hold? Would I kill them if I trimmed them now? As for the tree, should I also wait on trimming that too? Or if I wait till the spring, will I be cutting the new growth off? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you CG in NY

Reply to
Gntry

Do not prune now as that will encourage new growth. You don't want new growth as the plant is going dormant for the winter.

Reply to
FDR