Seattle's Street Margins

Paghat wrote in an earlier post,

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

animaux

Those "street margins" are a royal pain in the ass.

Hardly worth the time and effort for hauling out the mower just to cut the narrow strip.

I'm often tempted to pull out all the grass and replacing it with prickly pear cactus!!!!

Maybe Liriope or Ophiopogon would be a better idea?

Other neighbors have just cemented it up.

We never got "street trees". All the better.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

Reply to
paghat

As I believe I mentioned recently, Crape Myrtle is my city's 'official tree' and plentifully planted in street margins and dividers. Bloom is almost over now, and 'pink snow' has stopped raining onto the lawn. They are virtually no-maintenance in this area, the only chore being occasional trimming of bottom 'suckers' to make them trees instead of bushes. They are mostly 'hardy' here, and certainly 'root hardy'. After an exceptionally hard winter, many smaller ones died back to the ground, but put up new shoots the next spring.

Reply to
Frogleg

Parrotia persica is on the approved list of Seattle Street Trees - an ideal choice for a parking/hell strip. Slow growing to a very manageable size, no mess, no fuss, drought and pollution tolerant and drop-dead gorgeous fall color. Don't understand why they are not more common.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam

Richard wrote in news:Xns93DEE35EC8B40cybrczchnebrrcom@24.94.170.88:

Probably sacrilegious to say here, but I wonder if anybody's ever put down Astroturf and plastic flowers and nobody noticed.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Where ya been Pam? Is it available at Swanson's?

Reply to
Travis

Swanson's? The one that makes the potpies without the soggy undercrust?

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

Hi Travis; On vacation and yup, although I am no longer available at at Swanson's :-))

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam

Have you retired?

Reply to
Travis

____Reply Separator_____

Swanson's small round one have the bottom crust, but the larger Swanson ones don't have a bottom crust? Why is this?

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Neither old enough or wealthy enough to retire - just concentrating on landscape design and consultation full time.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam