new planting care?

We planted new shrubs and a weeping cherry tree this past summer. We have watered and fertilized and they have really taken. Most if not all of the shrubs have just about doubled in size. My question: when would the best time to trim these back be? now or in the spring? some of the new shoots have reached the stage where they are drooping over. I think the root system has a good hold but wonder if I should let them take a winter (NorthEast) so to speak. ??

Reply to
Gntry

To a degree it depends upon the plant. I don't like to prune too late in the year because of the danger that it will force new tender shoot growth which are then hit by winter freezes. Specifically for azaleas and rhododendrons, I prune AFTER they bloom next spring -- if you prune now you'll be cutting off the parts that will bloom next spring. Also, if you have raspberries, pruning now will eliminate next year's crop. If you'll add info on what shrubs you've planted, perhaps someone knowledgable from the Northeast will step up and answer with specifics. Regards --

Reply to
World Traveler