Squirrels in tomato garden

Can anyone suggest a way to keep squirrels out of my tomato garden. I have my tomato plants enclosed in a three foot fence, but the squirrels just climb over it. Last year, they destroyed every tomato. I live in a metropolitan area, so guns are not an option.

Reply to
brsher

Hav-a-hart trap is best bet but some places do not even allow this. I take squirrels to park. Largest trap is good idea. Mine is 2nd largest and would not hold large raccoon that was pestering me. I've never seen squirrels going after tomato or plants so you may have another pest like a groundhog or raccoon. Large rat traps will occasionally nail one - squirrels like peanut butter. I've also popped a couple with my bow and neighbor uses low velocity 22's which do not make too much noise.

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Because in a city, where your neighbor's house is only 10 feet from your property line firing a low velocity 22 is a safe thing, or even legal.

Reply to
Snooze

I've grown some pigweed here and the leaves I'm told are edible. Some of it also has some nice sharp thorns and I've placed it in areas where I've seen squirrels digging holes. It seems to be working. I let one seed last year and they supposedly produce 200,000 or more seeds and I believe it. The seeds are supposedly viable for up to ten years, not that I care but from one plant I've already pulled up 20 (or more) pigweeds and have been using them here and there where I've seen squirrels digging. They've stopped digging in those areas.

Not all of it has thorns but most of it does. I basically pull all the leaves off and make sure there's no seeds on the stem before I drop the stem in the area where I don't want squirrels. The squirrels seem to have a very good memory and so far it's working very well.

If you've got another type of thorny vine, lay that around the area where your tomatos are growing.

-- Jim Carlock Please post replies to newsgroup.

Reply to
Jim Carlock