tree question

We're FL natives on vacation in NC, where we occassionally see large, tightly wound cobwebs on branches in trees. What insect or creature creates these cobwebs?

Reply to
havin_aball

Most likely tent caterpillars.

Reply to
pam

Jusr reminded me- as small children in the 50's we collected these caterpillars and actually sold them door to door! And amazingly some folks actually bought them. I think we asked maybe two cents apiece- just enough for ice cream money. I can't imagine that many children would be met with such willing door answerers nowadays!

Reply to
Toni

When I was a kid we tried to sell Buckeyes. Once they started falling it was a race to see who could gather the most. I only remember one person buying them though. And I never could make holes in them to thread them. Bet I was the only girl on our street without a necklace.

Jean Zone 5 OH Go Tribe!

Reply to
Jean