Transplanting Vinca minor - periwinkle

I have a mound in my yard that currently is about 2/3 covered with this plant. I have taken a shovel and dug out chunks of existing vinca and replanted it in the bare areas.

My question is what type of fertilizer should I use for the newly planted vinca. What type of fertilizer should I use for the existing plant to make it spread more quickly.

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Paul

I forgot to mention that I live in the Northwest.

Reply to
paul

None and none :-) Vinca requires no addtional fertilizer to encourage spread, only time and attention, and the only newly planted items requiring fertilizing is grass seed.

Fertilizer is not intended to encourage rapid plant growth, which is generally undesireable anyway - it is intended to provide nutrients which may be missing from the soil. There is no need to apply fertilizer unless your plants indicate they are suffering from a nutrient deficiency and you have had your soil tested to assess nutrient levels. If your soil is of good quality and amended or topdressed regularly with organic matter, your fertilizing needs should be minimal.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Damn straight.

Anyone know an easy way to _eradicate_ Vinca, other than digging it down to the roots? I have waaaaay to much of this nice looking weed and digging it all would be a huge job..

Reply to
Bill Spohn

I can report that swearing at it does not inhibit growth.

Reply to
Frogleg