Sweet potatos and mulch

Wanting to grow some sweet potatoes but never have before. I dont like weeding or have alot of time. Can I grow sweet potatoes using black plastic mulch? Can I eat them out of the ground or do they have to cure first or somethign?

Reply to
stryped

i'm not mush on plastic mulch covers as they tend to keep water from getting to the soil ans prevent the soil from breathing, i use grass or hay type mulches, and i grow my sweet potatoes under these mulches they do very well, you can eat the tuibers as you harvest them they don't need curing, i think curing comes in when you want to store them?

len

snipped

Reply to
len gardener

You can eat sweet potatoes immediately after harvest but the the potato will not be as flavorful as it will be after curing. Curing (or allowing the potato to dry in shade for a few weeks) will allow the natural sugars to develop (hence, sweet potato. Sweet potatoes should not be allowed to freeze/thaw for it leads to rot.

Reply to
Marcy Hege