stopping/slowing hedge growth

Does anyone know of any good methods for slowing down an "aggressive" hedge?

Actually, this isn't any "ordinary" hedge as since it's been cut back I've noticed it has some huge, "raw"-looking branches.

I've heard you can put tar on the branches and that'll stop 'em from growing.

Anyone?

Thanks!

-a

Reply to
AL

I'd go with the tar. It's a sure thing - looks good, too.

Reply to
Vox Humana

"aggressive"

I will starve it by not providing any nitrogen and remove nitrogen from the soil. As long as other nutrients are available, it will be helthy but under a check.

Keep on pruning, remove all the debris for other plant as mulch.

Plant some nutrient hungry ground cover nearby, mow and remove the clipping for other plant as mulch.

Or try to reduce water available to the hedge.

Regards, Wong

-- Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Reply to
nswong

Dig it up. That'll stop it from growing for sure. And, if you actually do want living things in that spot, plant something else that is more suited to your gardening style. Plastic maybe?

Reply to
Sunflower

Root pruning. Get a spade. A good one. Buy a fine-grain flat file to keep the spade sharp. Drive it straight down in a circle around each plant. The circle should be about half the diameter of the widest circle of branches. Go straight down ONLY - do not lift as if you were trying to remove the plant. Just STRAIGHT DOWN. If you feel no resistance, make the circle a bit closer. Do this one in early spring and again in the late fall.

The tar idea is stupid. Who told you that?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Tar baby?

Doug Kanter wrote: =