sterilizng containers in a greenshanty / coldframe during summer?

does anybody stick their seed starting pots / other garden paraphenalia in a minigreenhouse or cold frame during the summer to sterilize them?

Is it a dumb idea, waste of time or what? As it is, I don't bother washing, but if I'm going to have a cold frame, i would if it might be useful outside of winter anybody know what temperature plastics will start melting at? Cold frame will have real glass.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

I don't know about sterilizing, but I've found the cold frame useful for another purpose in summer. I remove the glass doors and replace with a lightweight frame containing chicken wire. In the frame, I plant low-growing items like lettuces. The chicken wire protects them from feet, pets, and other mishaps.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

....and I can also clip fabric or dark-colored window screen to the chicken wire to give lettuces some protection from the sun.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Salty Thumb in news:tNeXc.1130$Cc.988@trnddc07:

i trid it years ago. i used a cooking thermometer to measure temps. it got very hot. plastic pots melted. my box was insulated wiht cardboard then styrofoam,. the cardboard managed to keep the styro from melting.

it's not easy to keep the top surface of the mix moist. maybe putting the mix in closed metal pans solves the problems?

but, this is rather labor expensive, too

Reply to
Gardñ

"Gardñ@Gardñ.info" wrote in news:Xns9558C81C4159DGard.info@65.245.115.2:

thanks for info. why did you insulate? everything I've seen says to ventilate. I assume the temps when closed would be similar to that of a parked car with windows up.

I don't understand ... i was just thinking of sterlizing pots (without soil) during the end of summer for use during winter for seed starting.

yikes :-)

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Place your pots and trays into a barrel of water into which you have put bleach to form a 1-3% solution (1-2 quarts of bleach in a 20 gallon barrel). This will sterilize the pots. It only takes a few minutes to get the liquid to soak through dried soil deposits. Wear rubber gloves. Bleach on your hands can be neutralized with a dilute vinegar solution.

Remove the pots and place them in your greenhouse/coldframe with the ventilation open. This will dry them out. Place them into a garbage bag for storage to keep out spiders.

Trying to sterilize plastic with high temperatures is tricky. A closed coldframe/greenhouse can easily melt plastic even in cool weather.

Leave the barrel of bleach open for a few days and the chlorine will evaporate and you won't be putting chlorine into the groundwater.

Reply to
dps

dps in news:41386766$0$565$b45e6eb0@senator- bedfellow.mit.edu:

or save it. i'd do the whole process out doors to reduce breathing the evaporating bleach.

Reply to
Gardñ

Salty Thumb in news:76SZc.4319$Ep4.3184@trnddc01:

i should have said that my goal was to pasteruize mix. the pots were semi-incidental (except that often teh pasteurized mix was to be used IN those pots) also,and

all "parts" were from dumpsters or from leaning next to dumpsters. the box was a wood crate that had shipped some equipment. its dimensions were, (all dims approx): 3.5x2 ft x18"deep. scrap styro (1"? thick) was cut and pushed into place on inside of crate. corrugated cardboard was pressed into place against the walls of this cavity. i don't recall if i cut th cardboard, or any other detail of the cardboard.

i had a pane of glass set upon the top opening. i tilted the top of the box slightly toward south. the pane needed dust washed off sometimes (necessary a few times a year?) i think the location received most of the day's worth of direct sunlight. i could get high temps in the box during other seasons besdies summer (regular temps range mid 80's, mid/upper 90's fahrenheit)

Reply to
Gardñ

Outdoors: good point that I forgot to mention.

I don't think that the chlorine will stay in the water for more than a week or so at normal temperatures. Even if you keep a lid on the barrel, they're not really designed to be airtight. So sterilize all your pots (and anything else that needs it) at the same time (within a couple of days).

Reply to
dps