Stella Dora Plants

They like plenty of water and are heavy feeders. Try some fertilizer and water. Especially important if it's hot and dry this time of year in your parts. As others have said, remove the seed pods as soon as they start to form.

Bill Smith wrote:

Mike Prager Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a) (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager

You're not wrong. The original MG was created for epiphytic orchids grown under glass, and can still be bought under the names 'Miracid' and 'ProSelect'. The NPK ratio is 30-10-10, but 90 percent of the nitrogen is bound up in urea. It requires environmental breakdown of the urea to make the nitrogen available to plants, so the 30 percent N figure by itself is a bit misleading.

There are still other formulations of MG. For details see 'plant food' at

I know Osmocote comes in different ratio forumlas so the box

Yes, but caution is advised here as well, since there are formulations with different release rates (generally, from 3 to 18 months), and formulations with different release rates for the individual macronutrients as well. It gets very complicated. Detailed information is available under 'fertilizers' at

Also there is a time to use a high nitrogen fertilizer. I do use it if

Over use is an ever-present possibility. Personally, I believe in deliberately under-fertilizing with granular fertilizers like Osmocote, and supplementing with water-solubles like Miracle Grow when I can. For soil beds I use mostly compost, sometimes supplemented with water-solubles. The vegetable plantings additionally get carefully measured small amounts of 13-13-13 since they are almost all gross feeders. I'm willing to do these different things because for me its only a hobby and I'm merely dabbling, but if I were growing professionally I'd have to do many things differently, including fertilizing. What I do now mostly succeeds (sometimes even more than I had hoped for), but a commercial grower needs better than 'mostly' to survive.

Reply to
maxsilverstar